The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ground Loop Noise problem almost fix!! - But I need your help!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ground Loop Noise problem almost fix!! - But I need your help!

Hello fellow nerds and music creators!

This is my first post so please let me know if this is all wrong.

Recently I have been struggling with ground loop noise coming from both my external sound interface and the motherboards native sound interface. That kind of `beep bop` sound that most of all sounds like a processing CPU. The sound appears on both monitors and in headphones. When connecting my entire setup to my macbook laptop the noise disappears. Or is reduced to some white/pink noise that i find acceptable. Guess it’s the noise floor?

BUT!

thanks to you guys <33 I managed to find a solution that almost solved my problem. I realized that if I only use my USB 3.0 front ports the noise is reduced by what seems like 50%!

And here is the thing… If I then unplug the USB going from the synth to the front USB PORT the ground loop noise disappears completely. Yay! almost there..

So what exactly creates the the ground loop noise in this circuit? I would very much like to continue using my synth with the USB connection since I use it alot as an external instrument reacting to midi-signals. However as it is right now the noise still ruins my recordings..

Any suggestions to where to go from here?

Isolated USB 3.0 cable between the synth and the computer?

Bad TRS cables?

Rethink my entire setup? After all everything is connected to the same outlet together with routers, lamps, preamps etc.

I’m a bit lost - please help!

TL:DR
I managed to get rid of some seriously loud ground loop noise by connected my sound interface to the USB 3.0 front ports of my computer. However when connecting the USB cable from my synth to my computer the sound reappears. Any suggestions on how to solve this?
Attached Thumbnails
Ground Loop Noise problem almost fix!! - But I need your help!-setop-overview.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My specs:

COMPUTER SPECS

System: HACKINGTOSH BUILD - OSX - Sierra 10.12.6
Motherboard: Asrock z77 extreme 6
CPU: 3,5 GHz Intel Core i7
MEMORY: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: (No at the moment) Motherboard native graphics card
POWER: Club 3D CSP-D850CB - 850 Watt

SYNTH: Dave Smith - Prophet Rev2
Soundcard: Scarlett 2i2
Monitors: Adam A5X
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I'd focus on isolating the USB devices rather than on special audio cables. I believe that there are special USB hubs and/or USB cables that can help with isolation.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Okay. Thank you! Ill try to look into that next!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search