The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
[Noob question] Focusrite 2i4 - Volca Bass - Ableton
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

[Noob question] Focusrite 2i4 - Volca Bass - Ableton

Hi guys,

here the noob question:

I recently bought the korg volca bass and it's my very first piece of hardware.
Im not going to bore you with the background of my unpleasant customer experience with the store clerk and i'll go straight to the point:

What's the correct setup if I want to play and record with my toy in Ableton?
Ofc I need a MIDI cable but it doesn't generate any audio signal. Should I opt for the mini jack adapter from the korg's OUT in my 2i4 IN?

What's the correct cable I should buy? I have the adapter, but it does not match with the mini jack cable provided with the volca bass.

Is a Y cable my only option? If yes, what's the correct size?

Many thanks in advance.

Best
d
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

So you would only need a MIDI cable if you plan on programming/sequencing the Volca Bass with the computer (Ableton or whatever software). Otherwise, it looks like the Volca Bass doesn't have a MIDI out, so you won't be recording MIDI data coming from the Volca.

The only audio output it seems (I don't actually own one, but I'm looking at the pictures on Sweetwater) is a 3.5mm TRS jack which seems predominantly intended for headphones so the jack is outputting an unbalanced stereo signal.

The best option is to use an 1/8" TRS male -> 2x 1/4" TS male break out cable. Something like one of these:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nch-ts-10-foot
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...pmb2q-2-2-foot

If you're trying to make due with what you have lying around, you can maybe frankenstein something with 1/8" to 1/4" adapters but you need to be careful. The end going into the Volca needs to be TRS, and the ends going into the Scarlett need to be TS. Also, I would idealistically use a stereo DI box in front of the Scarlett but I've heard the second generation Scarletts have decent DI's so whatever I guess.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search