The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Are there two slightly different 3/8" microphone stand thread sizes?
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

Are there two slightly different 3/8" microphone stand thread sizes?

Hi,

I have a cheap, unbranded scissor arm desk boom from ebay, which included a mic clip. I also have a floor stand which I bought about 20 years ago.

I just bought a second microphone, which will be arriving soon. It's an MXL770, which comes with its own shock mount. The floor stand has a small (3/8"?) male connector, as well as an adapter for a larger thread. The larger thread fits my other mic clip which is a genuine Yamaha one that came with my other microphone, so I feel I can be pretty confident that this is a standard 5/8" connector.

However, the mic clip from the cheap boom does not fit the small connector on the floor stand, and the adapter from the floor stand does not fit the boom. They are incredibly close though. So close that I can screw the connector onto the boom a half turn, and if I try to put the clip from the boom on the floor stand, it actually screws on, but it's loose and I can feel the thread in the cheap plastic of the clip being damaged if I try to screw it down tight.

So my question is, are there two '3/8' inch sizes? It would make sense if maybe one was 3/8" and the other was 10mm, but I don't have calipers to measure it accurately. Or maybe there are ones with different thread counts? Or is this just the consequences of buying a cheap boom that is compatible with nothing but itself?

I would probably prefer to put the new mic on the boom, so I want the appropriate adapter, but I figure if I buy a 3/8" to 5/8" adapter, it will probably just be identical to the one I have, so any info on what this other thread size might be would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

No.
But there are cheap, dodgy products that play fast and loose with the specs.
Because essentially the rest of the world is metric, perhaps they some kind of kludgy metric equivalent that is "close"?

I bought a 5/8-27 tap and die to "clean up" dodgy components.
And to support making new mic-stand products from scratch.
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
No.
But there are cheap, dodgy products that play fast and loose with the specs.
Because essentially the rest of the world is metric, perhaps they some kind of kludgy metric equivalent that is "close"?

I bought a 5/8-27 tap and die to "clean up" dodgy components.
And to support making new mic-stand products from scratch.
I did the same thing. It is AMAZING how many different manufactures play fast and loose with what should be a "standard" for mic holders and stands.

If the OP wants to buy the same tap and die you can order them off Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/GZTool-8-27-R...s%2C156&sr=8-6
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

I have also used my 5/8-27 die to cut threads into the pin on the end of some of my light stands.
The lighting standard for "baby" pin is 5/8 inch diameter which works out perfectly for cutting mic stand threads.

Also works great for drop-ceiling, T-bar scissor clamps

Old 12th June 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just make do with it as is for the time being. I'm planning on buying a proper boom some time soon when I have the funds, so it's probably not worth trying to modify this one.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballzac View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just make do with it as is for the time being. I'm planning on buying a proper boom some time soon when I have the funds, so it's probably not worth trying to modify this one.
Sloppy threads and inaccurate sizing is aggravating. Occasionally I've improved this type of connection by winding several revolutions of Teflon plumber's tape around the male threads. It might help in your situation, also. I've also wound sewing thread or twine around sloppy threads and/or undersized fittings to get by until I could do better.
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Sloppy threads and inaccurate sizing is aggravating. Occasionally I've improved this type of connection by winding several revolutions of Teflon plumber's tape around the male threads. It might help in your situation, also. I've also wound sewing thread or twine around sloppy threads and/or undersized fittings to get by until I could do better.

Thanks for the idea. I do have some teflon tape around somewhere, so I might give that a shot, but it's only going to solve one of the two issues, of course---it won't help with putting the real 3/8" one on the larger one.

I wonder if I could get some sort of a headless 3/8 bolt to put in place of that part of the boom. It's just held between two pieces of metal with a thumb screw, so there's probably some tolerance as far as size goes. It's a little narrower where it's held in than at the end the mic clip goes on, so a regular bolt won't work, but maybe I can find something that does.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballzac View Post
Thanks for the idea. I do have some teflon tape around somewhere, so I might give that a shot, but it's only going to solve one of the two issues, of course---it won't help with putting the real 3/8" one on the larger one.

I wonder if I could get some sort of a headless 3/8 bolt to put in place of that part of the boom. It's just held between two pieces of metal with a thumb screw, so there's probably some tolerance as far as size goes. It's a little narrower where it's held in than at the end the mic clip goes on, so a regular bolt won't work, but maybe I can find something that does.
You're welcome. The bolt might work, as might a metal conduit connector used as a sleeve and just bolt the whole assembly together. Good luck!
Old 14th June 2019
Here for the gear

Sorry for wasting everyone's time (although the ideas here will undoubtedly be helpful for similar problems in the future), but it turns out there was a super simple solution : the mic clip from the cheap boom also has a 3/8-5/8 adapter in it, but it was screwed in so tight it looks like one piece of plastic, so I didn't realise until I looked at it more closely. The 5/8" thread on it is the right size, so I just took it out of the clip and put it back on the boom, and now I can put whatever clip or shock mount on whichever stand I want.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
This stuff is also very helpful:

Anti-Seize Lubricating Compound (food grade)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search