The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1/4” TRS to RCA issue...
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

1/4” TRS to RCA issue...

Hi all! I apologize because this will be a little lengthy. I finally received my new McONE-B monitor controller today and it looks fantastic; however, I'm having a weird issue with it that I'm hoping somebody knows something about.

I have 3 sets of monitor speakers in my studio. My mains use 1/4" TRS (balanced) cables no problem, works perfectly. My other 2 sets of speakers, one of which is my precious IK Multimedia iLouds, are connected via RCA cables, which I've ascertained are unbalanced. Previously I simply had these connected with a dual RCA cable with a couple of 1/4" TS adapters which fit into the 1/4" jacks on my old monitor controller.

When connected like this to my new McONE monitor controller, which is advertised as having balanced outputs, the volume control is completely reversed! Up is down and down is up. If I plug my mains (which use balanced cables) into each of the 3 outputs, it works perfectly. Which leads me to believe this is some kind of balanced/unbalanced cable issue? Could it be because RCA is unbalanced and the McONE is balanced? I have no idea.

If this is the case, how do I go from the 1/4" jacks on the monitor controller to the RCA jacks on my speakers? This could be a reason for returning the unit because my iLoud speakers are what I use for mixing and I won't part with them under any circumstance. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for reading.

Last edited by tonepot; 9th June 2019 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear
Plug the 1/4 adapter ends in halfway so the tip touches the contact (When you first feel some resistance), but the sleeve doesn't touch the side contact, which it needs to be shoved in all the way to do.

That should take care of it.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

This makes no sense whatsoever. Even if the phase were reversed, the volume control (amplitude) would not be inverted. Something else, something pretty strange, is going on.

I would query the tech support people for the McONE to see what they have to say.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

I agree with @ DrewE . Those symptoms make no sense at all.

Note that a "TRS to RCA" cable is highly suspicious at best.
As you say RCA is unbalanced (by definition), but TRS is very likely balanced.
So how the cable is wired is a complete unknown and should be avoided unless you have solid evidence.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search