The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What benefits do I get replacing my TS to TRS or XLR
Old 8th June 2019
Here for the gear

What benefits do I get replacing my TS to TRS or XLR

Hi. I’m sure this has been asked a lot. I read through here and also google but still couldn’t find an answer probably those info are not interactive.

Cut to the chase. I’m using Rokit 7 (RCA, TS/TRS, XLR inputs) and Native Instrument Audio 2 (TRS output).

Like many I assume, I’m using TS or guitar cables to connect them. So what benefits do I get replacing my TS cables to TRS or XLR?

Do I get ‘fuller sound’ clearer,... crispier...? Or it will just be the same. There is not much interference around my equipments and honestly whatever came out from my monitor speakers are all good. So will I get to hear more if I changed the cables?
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Most likely, it will be basically the same. If you aren't noticing any interference or hum pickup, it will be very hard to hear less of what is already pretty much nothing. Balanced cables are beneficial in cases where interference is a possibility or problem--electrically noisy environments, low level and/or high impedance signals, long cable runs, that sort of thing. For comparatively short line-level interconnects, the benefits are often not great.

Depending on how the output of the Native Instrument Audio 2 is constructed, you may see a few dB higher signal level with a balanced cable.

All that being said, TRS cables are not exactly expensive (if you avoid the overpriced high-end stuff, but get merely decent quality ones) and if it were me I would probably think about getting a set to use, just based on something akin to aesthetic reasons: it just seems the "right" thing to do, even though there aren't likely to be significant noticeable benefits. Don't confuse that with a strong technical reason.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

If you are not having any problems with interference (hum, buzz, RFI, etc.) then using balanced vs. unbalanced will provide no difference (except the cost of new cables for no benefit.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search