The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New cabling that I didn't find in the net
Old 6th June 2019
Here for the gear

New cabling that I didn't find in the net

Hi.
I have an amplifier integrated (musical fidelity M5si) with DAC built-in and with USB input for connecting to a computer. But my amplifier dealer once told me if I use analog RCA connection, I will get far more better sound quality than USB connection.
In the other hand, I have an audio interface. My audio interface (Steinberg UR22 mkII) has 2 TRS/TS (balanced/unbalanced) output ports.
1) Can I connect this output and AUX input on my amp with a TS to RCA cable?
2) Can I get good sound, like standard RCA/RCA cable and better than that USB? Assume a good quality RCA to TS cable.
3) Are these dual RCA to TS cables OK by NATURE?

Sorry, could you please answer to my 3 questions?
Thanks
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, a standard TS to RCA cable (or dual cable) would be fine here. Any halfway decent quality cable, dual or not, should generally work fine here and almost certainly be indistinguishable in terms of audio quality from the very best cable available given that it's a (presumably) short line-level connection. More expensive cables do generally tend to be mechanically sturdier, which could be a concern if you're moving them a lot or disconnecting them frequently or rolling a chair over them, but of little importance if they'll just sit there behind the desk or whatever.

Whether it's better sound quality than the built-in USB interface really depends on how well the USB interface in the amplifier is constructed and how good of a converter they use and whether or not they handled grounding well in the amplifier. There's a definite chance your external interface will give better sound, to be sure. There's also a reasonably good chance that the differences would be negligible to nonexistent in a controlled test.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

0. Will "using analog RCA connection, give you far more better sound quality than USB connection?" That is as stupid a generalization as I have ever heard from a clueless audio sales-droid. NEVER take their word for ANYTHING. They were probably flipping hamburgers last week.

1. Yes, you can connect the output of your Steinberg UR22 mkII with the input of your Musical Fidelity M5si with TS to RCA cables. Of course, you would not want to use junk cables. But you don't have to waste money on boutique snake-oil cables either. One of my favorite quotes from a reviewer here on GearSlutz: "A $200 cable is better than a $2 cable. But it is not better than a $5 cable"

2. Can you get a "better sound" using RCA (analog) interconnections vs. using USB (digital). Very unlikely. But it is trivial and cheap to test for yourself. No pile of opinions from sales-droids or strangers on the internet will beat how your own ears and brain call it. Go for it. Bonus question: what does "better sound" mean?

3. There is nothing intrinsically inferior about dual (stereo) cables. Good stereo cables are good, and bad stereo cables are bad.

You should have better confidence in your own common sense.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search