The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
12 Gauge for NS10s
Old 19th May 2019
Here for the gear

12 Gauge for NS10s

Somewhat of a noob to speaker cables. I have a pair of original ns10ms so I went a little crazy and bought some 12 gauges. After getting them I read further and saw that the ideal gauge is 14-16.

- Is that overkill? I'm running about 6 feet from a crown xls 402. Will it damage the speakers?
- I can't tell what the polarity is as there's no +- sign on the wires. Just writing on one.

Slightly different topic but I also have an Adcom 555 amp. I know it has less headroom than the crown but I hear it performs better. Do I need a preamp for it to run from my audio interface?

Apologies in advance for the noobiness of this thread.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

The current-carrying capacity of a given cable/wire increases as the wire gauge number decreases in AWG (American Wire Gauge) nomenclature. Your 12 AWG cable will be just fine and won't hurt anything but you should figure out a way to identify which wire/cable is which and connect them correctly to keep your speakers matched in polarity.

Can't help with the Adcom.

<RANT>

FWIW, the whole wire/cable naming thing can be confusing. As I understand it. a wire is a single, solid piece of metal (most likely copper). It will (probably) be insulated in some fashion. A cable is two or more wires in a common jacket or insulation. The stuff you use to wire your house for electricity (commonly called Romex in the US) is a cable with typically three (solid) wires inside a common insulating jacket. Two of the wires - designed for the hot and neutral legs - will have their own insulation while the third, the ground wire, usually doesn't.

Many use the word wire for a single conductor even though it might be solid or stranded (many wires) so, in your example, one of the wires has printing and the other doesn't.

For me the fuzziness is when a cable is made up of two or more cables. The whole thing is still called a cable!

I thought of all this because it's unlikely you used 12 AWG Romex to connect your speakers but, rather, a cable rated at 12 AWG which is (probably) composed of two other cables, each made of several smaller wires, each.

And maybe I just need to go to bed!

</RANT>
Old 19th May 2019
Here for the gear

Haha, I can understand the frustration. It makes sense.

Thank you!
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Please reconsider the idea of using a 12 Gauge on your ns10s:

(Perhaps some sorta "anger management treatment program" might be in order here.)
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzai View Post
Somewhat of a noob to speaker cables. I have a pair of original ns10ms so I went a little crazy and bought some 12 gauges. After getting them I read further and saw that the ideal gauge is 14-16.

- Is that overkill? I'm running about 6 feet from a crown xls 402. Will it damage the speakers?
- I can't tell what the polarity is as there's no +- sign on the wires. Just writing on one.

Slightly different topic but I also have an Adcom 555 amp. I know it has less headroom than the crown but I hear it performs better. Do I need a preamp for it to run from my audio interface?

Apologies in advance for the noobiness of this thread.

Hello Dzai,

Sometimes in a twin-wire cable (such as zip-cord and some speaker cable) the sheathing of one will have small lengthwise ridges, and sometimes only writing. It really doesn't matter which you use for what as long as you are consistent. Usually the ridged or printed sheath is dedicated for the negative connections.

A #12 is a bit heavy and a bit tougher to use but otherwise should not cause any problems. I'm assuming it's stranded wire; if you solder, a good tip is to twist the strands and just tin the very ends. It helps keep the strands together and makes a neater job with better contact.

Good luck!
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrt02 View Post

<RANT...

Many use the word wire for a single conductor even though it might be solid or stranded (many wires) so, in your example, one of the wires has printing and the other doesn't.

For me the fuzziness is when a cable is made up of two or more cables. The whole thing is still called a cable!
</RANT>
Ha! Your rant triggered a rant of my own: The new common usage of the word "cord" to describe what I consider to be a cable. In my head, I've reserved the word 'cord' to be used as a shortened version of 'power cord', and generally prefer the term 'power cable'. I also tend to use the term cable for everything else that isn't a single conductor wire.

When people say "Ethernet cord", I get a 'clang' sound in my head... Oh well...
Old 19th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
[INDENT]Please reconsider the idea of using a 12 Gauge on your ns10s:

(Perhaps some sorta "anger management treatment program" might be in order here.)

Could you please explain why? I was reading somewhere else that it might be overkill but there was no explanation.

Thanks!
Old 19th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Hello Dzai,

Sometimes in a twin-wire cable (such as zip-cord and some speaker cable) the sheathing of one will have small lengthwise ridges, and sometimes only writing. It really doesn't matter which you use for what as long as you are consistent. Usually the ridged or printed sheath is dedicated for the negative connections.

A #12 is a bit heavy and a bit tougher to use but otherwise should not cause any problems. I'm assuming it's stranded wire; if you solder, a good tip is to twist the strands and just tin the very ends. It helps keep the strands together and makes a neater job with better contact.

Good luck!

Thank you for this advice! I do solder, so will do that. Great idea.

Also, does it not matter which side of the wire I use to connect red - red pin/black - black pin or is the wire itself polarized and I have to connect a specific side (brown or dark brown) to the red/black pin? See link here -

https://imgur.com/dgRwJbo

Just re-read your post. Ok I'll just assume the written side is negative. Thanks!
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for this advice! I do solder, so will do that. Great idea.

Also, does it not matter which side of the wire I use to connect red - red pin/black - black pin or is the wire itself polarized and I have to connect a specific side (brown or dark brown) to the red/black pin? See link here -

https://imgur.com/dgRwJbo

Just re-read your post. Ok I'll just assume the written side is negative. Thanks!
You're welcome . And you're correct; making the written 1/2 of the cable negative is a good way to go. All the best!
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Could you please explain why? I was reading somewhere else that it might be overkill but there was no explanation.

Thanks!
It’s a joke. “Gauge” is also a size designation for the bore of shotguns. A “12 gauge” is a very common hunting and home defense shotgun in the USA.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Ha! Your rant triggered a rant of my own: The new common usage of the word "cord" to describe what I consider to be a cable. In my head, I've reserved the word 'cord' to be used as a shortened version of 'power cord', and generally prefer the term 'power cable'. I also tend to use the term cable for everything else that isn't a single conductor wire.

When people say "Ethernet cord", I get a 'clang' sound in my head... Oh well...
And to make matters worse, motion picture folks (gaffers) call AC extension cords "stingers". I can sorta get behind the thinking on that one!

Maybe we're just not "wired" right (or we're just weird).

Happy trails!
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
It’s a joke. “Gauge” is also a size designation for the bore of shotguns. A “12 gauge” is a very common hunting and home defense shotgun in the USA.

I grew up in the south. Idk why I missed that one. Ba dum shhhhhhh
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
<RANT>

FWIW, the whole wire/cable naming thing can be confusing. As I understand it. a wire is a single, solid piece of metal (most likely copper). It will (probably) be insulated in some fashion. A cable is two or more wires in a common jacket or insulation. The stuff you use to wire your house for electricity (commonly called Romex in the US) is a cable with typically three (solid) wires inside a common insulating jacket. Two of the wires - designed for the hot and neutral legs - will have their own insulation while the third, the ground wire, usually doesn't.

I thought of all this because it's unlikely you used 12 AWG Romex to connect your speakers but, rather, a cable rated at 12 AWG which is (probably) composed of two other cables, each made of several smaller wires, each.

And maybe I just need to go to bed!

</RANT>
I bet your eyeballs explode when people call it a "cord."
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I bet your eyeballs explode when people call it a "cord."
HA! That's nothing! My eyeballs explode when they call it a "chord".
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Nut

Chords through cords connected to cables by connectors.

Shoot me now!
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chords through cords connected to cables by connectors.

Shoot me now!
12 gauge?
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
HA! That's nothing! My eyeballs explode when they call it a "chord".
Beat me to it!
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
12 gauge?
Got me!
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got me!
I was echoing Bushman .
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I was echoing Bushman .
If I’m echoing in your room, you need some very thick trapping.
But that’s a different forum.

And in this thread I probably need to say that I am joking...
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I’m echoing in your room, you need some very thick trapping.
But that’s a different forum.

And in this thread I probably need to say that I am joking...
It's weird; when I close my mouth the echoing stops.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's weird; when I close my mouth the echoing stops.
You cued the guffaw that caused my wife to look up and sent the dogs into an emergency scramble. Best laugh in weeks...thanks.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You cued the guffaw that caused my wife to look up and sent the dogs into an emergency scramble. Best laugh in weeks...thanks.
Hey, that's great! I've always wanted to "cue a guffaw"! I can finally cross something off of my bucket list!

Have a dandy night, Mr. Bushman!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search