The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Standing desk/shelving for drum machines, etc
Old 2nd May 2019
Here for the gear

Standing desk/shelving for drum machines, etc

I'm looking for a standing shelf that can hold a drum machine on top and also have rack spaces below in if possible.

Please see photos.

Thought maybe I could hack something together with Ikea, but the Eket system is too small.

Any ideas? Anyone already done this before?
Attached Thumbnails
Standing desk/shelving for drum machines, etc-screen-shot-2019-05-02-11.31.42-am.png   Standing desk/shelving for drum machines, etc-screen-shot-2019-05-02-11.32.40-am.png  
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Put a rackmount case with a smooth side/top on a normal desk or table?

Building a rack mount really isn't rocket science; it's just a box with rack rails attached (firmly) at the proper distance apart. Some plywood and a few bits of solid wood for structure and bracing would work just fine. If you want a permanent desk, as in one not intended for moving from gig to gig, maybe attach it to one of the (adjustable?) standing desk bases from Ikea; several of them area available as system components with various tops, and you could use your box with rack rails as the top rather than an Ikea one. With an adjustable one, you could crank it up or down so you could play comfortably standing up, sitting on a stool, or whatever.
Old 3rd May 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks Drew for the reply! I'm looking for something more like the cabinet on the right side, less like a rack box. Looked for quite a while on Ikea yesterday, but the one that looked closest to the cabinet/shelf is too small for my drum machines to sit on top of.

Was hoping someone had already figured out a solution for this that I can just adjust if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
Put a rackmount case with a smooth side/top on a normal desk or table?

Building a rack mount really isn't rocket science; it's just a box with rack rails attached (firmly) at the proper distance apart. Some plywood and a few bits of solid wood for structure and bracing would work just fine. If you want a permanent desk, as in one not intended for moving from gig to gig, maybe attach it to one of the (adjustable?) standing desk bases from Ikea; several of them area available as system components with various tops, and you could use your box with rack rails as the top rather than an Ikea one. With an adjustable one, you could crank it up or down so you could play comfortably standing up, sitting on a stool, or whatever.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Why don't you get something like this? I'm sure there are ones that are high enough to stand in front of the drum machine. I like it if the drum machine - or in my case a MPC is a bit angled towards me.

In case your drum machine isn't rack mountable, you could get something like this for the top from Quicklok, König&Meyer and other manufacturers. They are often sold as being for notebooks.

I use this from Magma on a desk, but could as well be on top of an ikea rack...
It isn't as intelligent and clever as most K&M gear for the price, but it is really stable. And you have many possiblilities getting the right wideness for your particular machine. Nothing moves if I work the MPC pads.
The part for the notebook can be removed or you could use it for two drum machines:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search