The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
XLR Patchbay Cables Dynamic Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

XLR Patchbay Cables

Good morning everyone.

I'm a stickler about cable management and I'm sick of constantly running cables around my interface when I need to plug another mic in (antelope audio zen tour) so I'm looking to get an XLR patchbay that I can basically hard wire those inputs to to keep my desk tidy. I have Mogami cables to connect my mics to, but to connect the preamps on my interface to the patchbay (I have one cable hardwired to an RE20 on a boom for podcasting and voice over) should I also get Mogami's or similar cables to connect the ins of the patchbay to the outs of my interface or would using some more affordable cables for the "permanent" patch like pro-co be sufficient? I don't want to affect the sound quality if I can help it, but I'm also a college student and I want to save some money if I can.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It will not make any significant (or ever perceptible) difference. Cables rarely make the top-5 (or even top-10) most important things when it comes to sound quality in a recording setup.

To keep things in perspective here, adding those extra connectors into the path (as with interposing a patch-bay) will have a far more significant potential affect on sound quality than using brand-A vs. brand-B cable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxophoni View Post
Good morning everyone.

I'm a stickler about cable management and I'm sick of constantly running cables around my interface when I need to plug another mic in (antelope audio zen tour) so I'm looking to get an XLR patchbay that I can basically hard wire those inputs to to keep my desk tidy. I have Mogami cables to connect my mics to, but to connect the preamps on my interface to the patchbay (I have one cable hardwired to an RE20 on a boom for podcasting and voice over) should I also get Mogami's or similar cables to connect the ins of the patchbay to the outs of my interface or would using some more affordable cables for the "permanent" patch like pro-co be sufficient? I don't want to affect the sound quality if I can help it, but I'm also a college student and I want to save some money if I can.
I think pro-co cable would be plenty sufficient. We're talking about short connections that won't be messed around with. IMO high-end cables real benefit is standing up to abuse better.

Also, I just found an XLR female patch bay in my garage that I totally don't need. I'd sell it cheap if you are interested.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govier966 View Post
I think pro-co cable would be plenty sufficient. We're talking about short connections that won't be messed around with. IMO high-end cables real benefit is standing up to abuse better.

Also, I just found an XLR female patch bay in my garage that I totally don't need. I'd sell it cheap if you are interested.
Ya know I might take you up on that, how many inputs?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxophoni View Post
Ya know I might take you up on that, how many inputs?
I'm gonna take a look again tomorrow and shoot you a PM. Just eyed them while doing some spring cleaning.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govier966 View Post
I'm gonna take a look again tomorrow and shoot you a PM. Just eyed them while doing some spring cleaning.
Cool beans. Thanks!!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search