The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the best way to send direct out to two devices?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
What's the best way to send direct out to two devices?

Hi guys,

What is the best (most efficient cost/effect) method to split balanced audio signal from direct out (on 16 channels) into two signals for different sources?

I use 32 channel console as split console (16 channels for recording and 16 for returns for mixdown) and until next week I've only recorded to the 16 channel tape machine which is now hooked to the mixer: 1-16 channels — direct out to the deck in, 17-32 from the deck to the mixer. I'm adding 16x16 sound card to my setup and I want to hook up channels 1-16 direct out to the card AND leave connection to the deck. Cause I still intend to use the tape deck.

Thank you for the help.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
One thought I had while thinking about this is using half-normalised patchbay which will route the signal down the path and I can use listen-in on the front to connect to the interface ins. Anyone tried this? Will this work okay?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is known as a mult in patchbay wiring. Wire to the top row as usual, then connect each of hot, cold and screen to the jack to the right. Now you got 2 outputs from one line. Without a patchbay you can just use a Y-cable to do the same. Do not do this for inputs or mic/instrument outputs!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
This is known as a mult in patchbay wiring. Wire to the top row as usual, then connect each of hot, cold and screen to the jack to the right. Now you got 2 outputs from one line. Without a patchbay you can just use a Y-cable to do the same. Do not do this for inputs or mic/instrument outputs!
Should I be concerned with any quality loss?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba1956 View Post
Should I be concerned with any quality loss?
Maybe, but probably not. It depends on the nature (mostly output impedance) of the SOURCE, and the nature (mostly input impedance) of both of the destinations. Modern, solid-state gear generally has a rather low output impedance (a few hundred ohms to a couple thousand ohms), and higher input impedance (5-10K ohms) inputs. So the destination/load impedances (even when combined) won't overload the source.

But beware that some vintage (especially tube) gear is designed to a different standard that doesn't hold up to this generality.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Maybe, but probably not. It depends on the nature (mostly output impedance) of the SOURCE, and the nature (mostly input impedance) of both of the destinations. Modern, solid-state gear generally has a rather low output impedance (a few hundred ohms to a couple thousand ohms), and higher input impedance (5-10K ohms) inputs. So the destination/load impedances (even when combined) won't overload the source.

But beware that some vintage (especially tube) gear is designed to a different standard that doesn't hold up to this generality.
Thank you Mr. Crowley. It will only run from direct outs of the console to the tape deck and the 16x16 interface inputs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search