The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connecting a Gap pre73 with a Focusrite scarlet 2i2 Audio Interfaces
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Connecting a Gap pre73 with a Focusrite scarlet 2i2

Hello

I have recently purchased Focusrite scarlet 2i2 and a GAP pre 73. I would like some help in which cables I need to connect them and how as I understand you can't connect a preamp directly into your PC? I'd appreciate any help with this, pictures would help plenty in addition to text (I'm dyslectic)

Thanx
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Very simple. Your Pre73 has two output connectors. One is an XLR connector and one is a 1/4” TRS female connector. Both connectors send the same output signal. Use a TRS male to male cable to go from the GAP 1/4” output to either input connector on the 2i2. The combination connectors on the 2i2 will accept a 1/4 plug. There is a switch under each input connector that switches the 1/4” part of the combo plug to either the line circuit or the instrument circuit. Switch it to the line position.
That should be all you need to do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Very simple. Your Pre73 has two output connectors. One is an XLR connector and one is a 1/4” TRS female connector. Both connectors send the same output signal. Use a TRS male to male cable to go from the GAP 1/4” output to either input connector on the 2i2. The combination connectors on the 2i2 will accept a 1/4 plug. There is a switch under each input connector that switches the 1/4” part of the combo plug to either the line circuit or the instrument circuit. Switch it to the line position.
That should be all you need to do.

Hi! Thanx for replying. I'm using an XLR to connect the two but I can't get no sound out of the PRE 73. Does it for some reason need to be a TRS? The speakers are connected to the scarlet 2i2.?.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes there is some reason it should be a TRS.
2i2 xlr in is mic level and Gap out is line level.

Is the 2i2 connected and working with the computer....can you playback computer audio through it?

Do you see meters on the Gap moving?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandanaman View Post
Hi! Thanx for replying. I'm using an XLR to connect the two but I can't get no sound out of the PRE 73. Does it for some reason need to be a TRS? The speakers are connected to the scarlet 2i2.?.
The XLR/XLR connection should work. It should be very, very hot, because you are sending a line output into a microphone preamp.
Have you checked the setup WITHOUT the PRE 73? If a mic straight into the Scarlett works, then the GAP should work. If the mic works and the GAP doesn’t, you are doing something wrong with the GAP, you have a bad cable between the two, or (less likely) there is something wrong with the GAP.
If the Gap has an insert switch or button, it should not be selected.
Do the speakers work with other sources?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Stella, sorry to repeat your advice. I replied from an email prompt. I’ve been off the internet for a day.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Yes there is some reason it should be a TRS.
2i2 xlr in is mic level and Gap out is line level.

Is the 2i2 connected and working with the computer....can you playback computer audio through it?

Do you see meters on the Gap moving?
Thank you for your reply! Yes the 2i2 works just fine alone with the speakers and everything. Just can't seem to get them to play with each other. I see the meters moving on the pre 73 however. And the mic is working with it but I just can't get no sound.. so frustrating.. what should I do?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Stella, sorry to repeat your advice. I replied from an email prompt. I’ve been off the internet for a day.
Hey! Thanks for replying. I appreciate any help I can get with this
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandanaman View Post
Thank you for your reply! Yes the 2i2 works just fine alone with the speakers and everything. Just can't seem to get them to play with each other. I see the meters moving on the pre 73 however. And the mic is working with it but I just can't get no sound.. so frustrating.. what should I do?
So if you plug the mic direct to the 2i2 you can hear it?

Could be something as simple as you not having direct monitor enabled on the 2i2?

Other than that the input knob of the Gap needs to be set more over the left hand side for mic (but avoiding the off position), the DI switch must be off and the output knob turned up and if using a condensor phantom power on...but I'm guessing you already have that right if you're seeing metering
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No apology necessary!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
So if you plug the mic direct to the 2i2 you can hear it?

Could be something as simple as you not having direct monitor enabled on the 2i2?

Other than that the input knob of the Gap needs to be set more over the left hand side for mic (but avoiding the off position), the DI switch must be off and the output knob turned up and if using a condensor phantom power on...but I'm guessing you already have that right if you're seeing metering
Correct! I can hear the speakers, hear myself through the headphones while recording so Not any issues at all really using the 2i2 alone.
While trying to connect the two howeverI put the gain on the 2i2 all the way down, shut down the direct monitor and indeed shut off the DI on the pre 73 but I still can't get an inch of sound out of it... I just don't get what I'm missing
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
While trying to connect the two howeverI put the gain on the 2i2 all the way down, shut down the direct monitor
You shut off direct monitor? So you have another way to monitor the 2i2 inputs?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
You shut off direct monitor? So you have another way to monitor the 2i2 inputs?
I thought it was supposed to be shut off in order to enable it on the pre 73 ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No. Unless you're monitoring with software it has to be on.

1. Go in to the jack in of the 2i2 with a TRS cable
2. Turn on 2i2 direct monitor
3. Turn up the 2i2 gain to get a suitable level

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search