The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap but good microphone stands?
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Addict
Cheap but good microphone stands?

Looking for a good but cheap microphone stand, just had some plastic $40-something mic stand tip and break on me. Looking for something that's either high quality plastic and stable (not tilting), or metal. Cheapest good option is the best for me, since I'll likely be getting a couple or a few. Also things with the boom arms are preferred as well.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

I recently needed a couple of cheap booms and bough some Hola! mic stands off Amazon. They had a two pac for 65.00, but I think they just have singles now for 35.00. Pretty nice stands for the money. Better than the On Stage stuff I have and maybe night quite as nice as the K&M, but also have the money.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post
I recently needed a couple of cheap booms and bough some Hola! mic stands off Amazon. They had a two pac for 65.00, but I think they just have singles now for 35.00. Pretty nice stands for the money. Better than the On Stage stuff I have and maybe night quite as nice as the K&M, but also have the money.
Are they sturdy and straight? My previous one had a noticeable curve in it (or rather a tilt), so if those ones are straight and sturdy I'll probably buy a couple two packs at $65.

Looks like those stands went up in price. They're almost $60 CAD with additional import charges for one, or $190 for two. Which is a shame because they look nice.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 10th April 2019 at 08:47 AM..
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Last stage stands I bought were the On Stage brand boom type. They've lasted a good 15 years or more so far but I haven't been playing out live allot so they mainly stay in the studio now. I own a few of the older chrome Atlas stands too which I've had for at least 40 years. They still function but are loaded with enough rust where I wouldn't want to use them in public. Personally I cant see spending $100 for a single stand when you can buy 5 of the cheaper ones for the same price unless its a specialized stand.

The other one I bought was for a studio mic while sitting at the console. Many people who podcast use these too. They range in price from $12 up to $100. I find it a very convenient boom for recording with my ribbon mic.

Old 10th April 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
Last stage stands I bought were the On Stage brand boom type. They've lasted a good 15 years or more so far but I haven't been playing out live allot so they mainly stay in the studio now. I own a few of the older chrome Atlas stands too which I've had for at least 40 years. They still function but are loaded with enough rust where I wouldn't want to use them in public. Personally I cant see spending $100 for a single stand when you can buy 5 of the cheaper ones for the same price unless its a specialized stand.

The other one I bought was for a studio mic while sitting at the console. Many people who podcast use these too. They range in price from $12 up to $100. I find it a very convenient boom for recording with my ribbon mic.

I just went with 3 $60 stands that had pretty sturdy looking legs with additional support like a good camera tripod. I'm a little annoyed that I just spent $200 after tax on stands, but hopefully they'll last a long time. The ones I ordered are the Pyle-Pro PMKS56.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
Are they sturdy and straight? My previous one had a noticeable curve in it (or rather a tilt), so if those ones are straight and sturdy I'll probably buy a couple two packs at $65.

Looks like those stands went up in price. They're almost $60 CAD with additional import charges for one, or $190 for two. Which is a shame because they look nice.

These are almost as sturdy as my K&M’s which are double the price. Check EBay I think they sell there too.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear
I have a slew of cheap stands, some from the 90s, never had an issue.

But I take care of them and always loosen properly when repositioning and use sandbags to keep them upright with heavier mics.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
I have a slew of cheap stands, some from the 90s, never had an issue.

But I take care of them and always loosen properly when repositioning and use sandbags to keep them upright with heavier mics.
This one just randomly tipped and the plastic joint that held the boom broke.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
This one just randomly tipped and the plastic joint that held the boom broke.
That's gotta be a manufacturing flaw or it really fell hard. Were the legs extended?

I have K&M, Network, On-Stage, Peavey, Gibraltar, etc. stands and their construction looks identical, so I'm not sure how much a different low-end brand is going to make. I've tossed them in a parachute bag with all my drum stands and banged that around and never had anything break.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
That's gotta be a manufacturing flaw or it really fell hard. Were the legs extended?

I have K&M, Network, On-Stage, Peavey, Gibraltar, etc. stands and their construction looks identical, so I'm not sure how much a different low-end brand is going to make. I've tossed them in a parachute bag with all my drum stands and banged that around and never had anything break.
The legs were extended. It shouldn't have fallen too hard, but it was being stored in my basement, so the plastic joint that holds the boom part hit concrete directly, so that plastic broke.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
The legs were extended. It shouldn't have fallen too hard, but it was being stored in my basement, so the plastic joint that holds the boom part hit concrete directly, so that plastic broke.
I’d chalk that up to a unhappy accident that’s likely not going to happen again.

Alternatively, go high end on your stands.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict
The Pyle stands I posted about arrived, they're super solid, a bit heavy (seems like all metal construction, and not the cheapo "Chinese mystery metal" {I think it's really cheap cast zinc} you see on the $20 stands on Amazon), and they extend really far.

I'd definitely recommend buying those over any of the $30 or less things you see on Amazon with the plastic joints.

EDIT: Those Pyle stands go for $35 USD on Amazon.com and B&H. Definitely spend the extra $5-10 on them. I wouldn't worry about leaving any of my mics on these stands.
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

I have had a bunch of On Stage stands break, sometimes the plastic joints, something the cheap meta itself has snapped mysteriously. The last one snapped because it lightly got snagged on my shirt as I was squeezing past it and a gobo, no significant amount of stress at all.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Head

I've heard good things about the Samson line of budget mic stands:

Microphone Stands | Samson Technologies
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Forget cheap stands, buy the good stuff. A good one lasts for decades. Split the cost over the life of the stand and the price of a good one is nothing.

K&M
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Head

I really love the Samson MK10 for the price. Boom arm is a bit short and the base is not heavy, but they're great for light duty work.
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Head

Samson mic stands sre cheap and very good. I prefer them over on-stage stands.
Old 3 weeks ago
I'm done with cheap stands. In fact, I'm done with all stands going forward except one: Latch Lake. I just got two LL boom stands to replace an old On Stage that wore out, which was never a great stand to begin with, and an "Ultimate Support" boom stand on castors, which I bought new less than two years ago and which seemed like quality gear at the time. Turned out, it had heavy metal, but cheap plastic parts and came at a hefty price: Ultimate Swindle is more like it. When I set up the Latch Lakes in my studio, I just had to laugh and say to myself, "Now THAT'S a mic stand." Solid as a rock. The clutch grips the boom with a firmness and metalic finality that I have never seen before with lesser stands. Not cheap, but it's crazy good gear. Worth the money.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
I'm done with cheap stands. In fact, I'm done with all stands going forward except one: Latch Lake. I just got two LL boom stands to replace an old On Stage that wore out, which was never a great stand to begin with, and an "Ultimate Support" boom stand on castors, which I bought new less than two years ago and which seemed like quality gear at the time. Turned out, it had heavy metal, but cheap plastic parts and came at a hefty price: Ultimate Swindle is more like it. When I set up the Latch Lakes in my studio, I just had to laugh and say to myself, "Now THAT'S a mic stand." Solid as a rock. The clutch grips the boom with a firmness and metalic finality that I have never seen before with lesser stands. Not cheap, but it's crazy good gear. Worth the money.
Yeah that's the issue with cheaper stands. The important parts are usually flimsy plastic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search