The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UPS bad for audio ?
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

UPS bad for audio ?

Power outrage is fairly common in my area. My audio equipment is plugged into a Furman power conditioner and I've never had any problems.

I was thinking of adding a UPS but some engineers told me it'S not necessary as UPS are DC (batterie) converted to AC, it will never provide a perfect sine wave, therefore not great for audio. Some units have pass through and only kick in when there's a power outrage, but if I'm not taking advantage of the battery back up than mind as well stick with my power conditioner.

What do you guys think ?

Thx
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

I use a double inline converter UPS. The batteries are dead now. Still works at giving me a perfect 230v output though. 500w powers my PC, 2x pairs of monitors, monitor controller, drum machine, rack synths and a few little wall wart power supplies for other bits and still shows only 30% usage.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

What does "power outage" mean in your location? (We have no clue where you are without your location in your user profile). Does it mean an occasional droop? Or a brownout that lasts several minutes? Or a complete disruption for hours?

Do you need UPS to prevent interruption and support seamless operations? Or to allow orderly saving and shutdown

Is there some critical need to continue recording, mixdown, etc. through a power interruption? What are you doing that will be affected by your undefined "power outage"? Are you running a broadcast station? Or a premium live streaming event with thousands or millions of paying customers? Or a recording studio with high-profile, costly performers?

SOME (perhaps many) UPS units produce something better than raw square wave output. A blanket statement like "it will never provide a perfect sine wave," seems unwarranted and unsupportable. Do you have any evidence that any of your critical gear will (or will not) operate on the more crude square-wave (or quasi - stepped) UPS waveforms? Does your critical gear REQUIRE sine-wave power to operate properly? Only you can do the research/testing to establish this evidence.

What gear REALLY needs instant UPS protection? Typically this is limited to things that are recording or retaining data in volatile memory. Primarily computers, digital recorders, etc. Do you really need instant UPS on your monitor amp (or active speakers)? On your mixing desk/console? On your outboard processing gear? Depends very much on what you are doing and the costs (not just monetary) of interruption, etc. What about other things like lighting, HVAC, alarms, security, etc?
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badaboom View Post
Power outrage is fairly common in my area. My audio equipment is plugged into a Furman power conditioner and I've never had any problems.

I was thinking of adding a UPS but some engineers told me it'S not necessary as UPS are DC (batterie) converted to AC, it will never provide a perfect sine wave, therefore not great for audio. Some units have pass through and only kick in when there's a power outrage, but if I'm not taking advantage of the battery back up than mind as well stick with my power conditioner.

What do you guys think ?

Thx
I have my computer and my solid-state recorder hooked up to a UPS. That thing rates as one of the best investments I ever made.
Old 10th April 2019
I've used a fairly common CyberPower UPS on my DAW system for years. This model doesn't offer a "perfect sine wave", but I believe some of theirs do, and I believe some of the APC ones do. That said, like others here, I've never had a problem using a $50 UPS with my DAW, monitors, interface and mixers.

It might be good to keep in mind that some "engineers" have pie-in-the-sky ideals of what we all should use--regardless of how (im)practical some of those things might be.

Steve

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search