The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Patchbay soldering: should I common/short the grounds?
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Nut

Patchbay soldering: should I common/short the grounds?

Hi everyone!

I will be soldering a type B patchbay (Re'an), and while I pretty much got the ropes on how to solder it properly to get a fully normalled connection, I recently saw a video of some chap soldering it the same way I intend, but he then proceeded to connect/shunt all the grounds in the patchbay using a copper cable throughout (and then on connecting that copper cable to some common house ground, I would guess).

Is this really necessary or advisable?
How will it be possible to chase some ground loop if things are connected in this way?

In other words, I'm already connecting all the grounds coming from the individual devices to the ground terminals of each connector at the patchbay side.

So is it really necessary to short all the grounds this way, with a copper cable at the patchbay itself?
And if so, where will I connected that wire next? Some common house ground?

Thanks!

Last edited by Andre Toscano; 5th April 2019 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

That question is quite complex and cannot be answered with a simple solution.
It completely depends on the LARGER picture of your situation to devise a "master plan" for grounding scheme.
What kinds of source, processing, and destination gear.
How it wired, powered, grounded (or not). Installed, mobile, portable, fixed or ad-hoc configurations, etc.
What is the POWER situation? Good, solid modern wiring and grounding? Vintage, crumbling, underpowered, ungrounded?
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

I never have or would...
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

By your description, it sounds like the guy in the video was wiring using a "Star Earth" ground configuration scheme. And yet there are multiple variations on how you would wire a studio with such a grounding scheme.

Some technicians used to choose to wire the earth line of EVERY audio device in the studio to 1 common star point (that's a lot of extra copper), while other's may have chosen to run individual earth wiring to multiple star points (Eg : outboard racks, console PSU, machine room, etc.) which then fed to a single star point.

so as Richard said, it depends ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search