The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
XLR to TS - Getting hiss Dynamic Microphones
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear

XLR to TS - Getting hiss

Hello.

I am trying to use a XRL to USB interface ( Micmate pro ) and connect my guitar ( TS) to PC. I succeeded on blocking phantom power via a decoupling circuit and the guitar sounds good. Problem is that I am getting plenty of "clean" hiss and I am not sure on how to get rid of it.

Diagram of what I have setup: https://i.imgur.com/DJb4Sg8.png

Guitar is shielded.

Thank you!
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Your audio needs to go between pins two and three; otherwise, you're driving only one half of the balanced input. You need to couple the shield signal from the guitar to pin two rather than leaving it open. Probably shifting the connection from pin one (shield) to pin two (signal -) would be sufficient.

If it were me, though, I would purchase a standard direct box rather than trying to cobble a cable together.
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
Your audio needs to go between pins two and three; otherwise, you're driving only one half of the balanced input. You need to couple the shield signal from the guitar to pin two rather than leaving it open. Probably shifting the connection from pin one (shield) to pin two (signal -) would be sufficient.

If it were me, though, I would purchase a standard direct box rather than trying to cobble a cable together.
Ty for the reply.
Ok, let me see if I got that.
I have ground and signal at the guitar plug and ground, left and right at the XLR.
Should I connect PIN2 ( hot + ) from micmate to Ground on the guitar cable ? Or I just connect PIN2 ( Hot +) & PIN3 ( Cold - ) to signal on guitar and leave PIN1 connected to ground on the guitar ?
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpz View Post
I am trying to use a XRL to USB interface ( Micmate pro ) and connect my guitar ( TS) to PC.
Forget making up a cable, mics and guitars have different outputs, you need something with a high impedance instrument input to plug a guitar straight in. You have 2 options:

1. Use a passive DI box between guitar and micmate (cheap and works for some styles.)

or

2. Plug a SM57 into the micmate and place it near the cone of a guitar amp ()
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

I completely agree with @ Lumbergh . You are attempting to use an adapter that is fundametally wrong for the purpose. The MXL Micmate Pro is made for interfacing with a low-impedance balanced microphone. Frankly, I am rather surprised that you are getting any audio signal at all.

There are instrument (unbalanced, high impedance) to USB adapters that do exactly what you are attempting. But MXL does not make any of them.
Or, as @ Lumbergh suggests, you could use a direct box of some kind to interface between the high-impedance unbalanced source (your instrument) and the low-impedance balanced input of the MXL gadget. There are scores of different direct-box products in a very wide range of prices.

And there are scores of different guitar to USB adapters in a very wide range of prices. Many are a deceptively simple-looking cable with a male TS connector on one end (for the guitar) and USB on the other end. But products that have XLR input (like all the MXL Micmate products) are basically the wrong tool for the job.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search