The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Whirlwind Little Imp, missing link that allows me to use guitar amps for vocals?
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Whirlwind Little Imp, missing link that allows me to use guitar amps for vocals?

I'm just curious if that's what this product is for.

It's a lo-Z XLR to hi-Z 1/4" inline impedance matcher connector. Meaning I can plug a mic into a guitar or bass amp, right?

I thought I also saw something similar by Audio Technica for $12, trying to figure out which one to get. Has anyone here ever used these to use a guitar amp for vocals?
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Guitar amps are intentionally not designed for even response and superior fidelity, so vocals won't sound particularly clean through a guitar amp no matter how you hook up the microphone. If that's the effect you want, then great; but if you're trying to get a PA setup on the cheap, there are any number of distinctly better (if somewhat more expensive) ways to go about it.

The little imp would appear to be the right sort of adapter to use to connect a standard low-impedance microphone to a guitar amp. I have no personal experience with this particular gizmo. You might also be able to get by with a plain XLR to 1/4" mono cable, such as is frequently used with inexpensive karaoke rigs and similar systems, despite the impedance mismatch; some very inexpensive microphones even come with such a cable as standard.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Maniac

My guitar amp is frfr or full range. It's the ISP Technologies Vector FS8. It has 2 inputs. I think the inputs are XLR/1/4" combo, I guess that means I don't really need the Whirlwind Little Imp then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
Guitar amps are intentionally not designed for even response and superior fidelity, so vocals won't sound particularly clean through a guitar amp no matter how you hook up the microphone. If that's the effect you want, then great; but if you're trying to get a PA setup on the cheap, there are any number of distinctly better (if somewhat more expensive) ways to go about it.

The little imp would appear to be the right sort of adapter to use to connect a standard low-impedance microphone to a guitar amp. I have no personal experience with this particular gizmo. You might also be able to get by with a plain XLR to 1/4" mono cable, such as is frequently used with inexpensive karaoke rigs and similar systems, despite the impedance mismatch; some very inexpensive microphones even come with such a cable as standard.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

For sure if you have one (or more) combo jacks, and they aren't line level only, just use the XLR cable and skip the Little Imp entirely. That seems to me to be a no-brainer.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

According to the manual at: https://isptechnologies.com/wp-conte...-MANUAL.01.pdf
Your amp appears to have a switch for full-range (flat frequency response) vs. "guitar" (shaped response).
And it appears to have two inputs, both of which are "combo" jacks that will accept XLR and 1/4 inch plugs.
Unfortunately there is essentially zero information about the inputs in the manual, so you will have to try it for yourself.
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Those are the inputs you just mentioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
According to the manual at: https://isptechnologies.com/wp-conte...-MANUAL.01.pdf
Your amp appears to have a switch for full-range (flat frequency response) vs. "guitar" (shaped response).
And it appears to have two inputs, both of which are "combo" jacks that will accept XLR and 1/4 inch plugs.
Unfortunately there is essentially zero information about the inputs in the manual, so you will have to try it for yourself.
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Maniac

The inputs are 2 XLR-1/4" combo. Is this what I need to skip the Little Imp?

Would there be impedance issues plugging a mic into a guitar amp (that has a pair of XLR/1/4" input)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
For sure if you have one (or more) combo jacks, and they aren't line level only, just use the XLR cable and skip the Little Imp entirely. That seems to me to be a no-brainer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search