The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Custom Wall Panel Options - Do I Have it Right?
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Head

Custom Wall Panel Options - Do I Have it Right?

I'm on the last piece of the puzzle for my studio and for some reason am having the most difficulty making this decision. I have a home basement studio with a live room and a control room and want to add a wall panel for the various connectors.

I need 8 inputs for my Clarett 8 Pre, a few TS for guitar, some Speakons/TRS combos for speaker connections. I added a few extra XLR/TRS combos just to have but I can't decide on if I need more TRS than TS?

Question 1 - Can I connect a TS unbalanced cable to a TRS jack without issues or do I have to wire the TRS a certain way?

Question 2 - Is there anything important I'm leaving out?

Here is what I have:

I really just need to connect my guitar/bass to the live room but I feel like I'm missing some key ingredients. MIDI will be only be used in the control room for piano controller, headphones should work with the TS (?), not sure why I would need USB/RCA?Ethernet, etc since my setup is real basic. WWYD?
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

Headphones need TRS assuming they're stereo. I assume the diagram is correct and you have a typo in your post about the speakon/TRS combos and they're really speakon/TS combos; I can't think of many if any cases where a TRS would be used with a passive speaker even if biamplified. For an active speaker, of course, you need a line level (TRS or XLR if balanced) connection, and presumably not a speakon.

Plugging an unbalanced line level TS into a TRS is fine; the ring will connect to the sleeve, and things will work as expected. Nothing special is required there.

For guitar and bass, make sure you use appropriate low-capacitance, well shielded instrument cable. The high impedance of these connections makes them quite susceptible to picking up hum/noise, and non-low-capacitance cables will attenuate the high frequencies if the cables are of a reasonable length. It's often better for them to have the instrument cable as short as practical and move the interface or amplifier or direct box or whatever nearer the instrument.

I would pull one or more Cat 6 cables even if they don't terminate to anything if it will be hard to run new wires once everything is buttoned up. If you have conduit or generally open wall spaces to run wires in, it would suffice to leave a pull string or two or three to run more or different cables should the need come up. If it's really easy to access, that of course wouldn't be needed as you can just put in cables directly.
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
Headphones need TRS assuming they're stereo. I assume the diagram is correct and you have a typo in your post about the speakon/TRS combos and they're really speakon/TS combos; I can't think of many if any cases where a TRS would be used with a passive speaker even if biamplified. For an active speaker, of course, you need a line level (TRS or XLR if balanced) connection, and presumably not a speakon.

Plugging an unbalanced line level TS into a TRS is fine; the ring will connect to the sleeve, and things will work as expected. Nothing special is required there.

For guitar and bass, make sure you use appropriate low-capacitance, well shielded instrument cable. The high impedance of these connections makes them quite susceptible to picking up hum/noise, and non-low-capacitance cables will attenuate the high frequencies if the cables are of a reasonable length. It's often better for them to have the instrument cable as short as practical and move the interface or amplifier or direct box or whatever nearer the instrument.

I would pull one or more Cat 6 cables even if they don't terminate to anything if it will be hard to run new wires once everything is buttoned up. If you have conduit or generally open wall spaces to run wires in, it would suffice to leave a pull string or two or three to run more or different cables should the need come up. If it's really easy to access, that of course wouldn't be needed as you can just put in cables directly.
Thanks Drew, good advice. You are right, I made a typo about the Speakon/TS combo.

I initially had all TRS jacks on the bottom row but I was worried that maybe I should have some straight TS jacks in case there were issues with plugging an unbalanced TS into them but you are saying there should be no problem. From my past experience I've never had a problem but I wasn't sure if they were wired differently and I read some things about tying the ring and sleeve together.

What use do you think a Cat 6 connection will give me? I've honestly never used them or Cat 5 for anything so I don't know.

I do have good low capacitance cables and my plan was to run the amp head in the control room with the shortest cables I have and send the speaker cable out to the live room. That run is only about 35 feet.

The only wiring I'm doing is the panel through wall connections. I'm going to run a 8 cable snake through PVC for now but it will eventually be buried in a drop ceiling.
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

Cat 6 (or Cat 5, which is similar but older and a lower spec) allows for all sorts of possibilities: a digital snake or similar if you need lots of inputs at once, ethernet to connect a laptop or provide remote control, video with the appropriate adapters, various personal monitoring mixer setups, etc. You also ought to be able to run five-pin midi over it. It's just cheap and generally useful cabling to have for whatever may come up later.

As I said, if you have reasonable access to pull more wires without too much hassle, it's rather pointless to run something now that you won't use just in case you may want it in the future. It's more just thinking that if you won't be easily able to add stuff later it would be a pretty good option for "future-proofing" the installation. Maybe I wasn't clear enough on that--I was thinking mainly of the case where future access was tricky.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

where did you get this custom wall plate, currently looking myself and can only find boxes.. I just need the plate as the GC is building the back box.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoPMiX View Post
where did you get this custom wall plate, currently looking myself and can only find boxes.. I just need the plate as the GC is building the back box.
If I were not able to make my own, I would order from Redco:

https://www.redco.com/Custom-Wall-Plates/

I have no affiliation with this vendor except as a satisfied, paying customer.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoPMiX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
If I were not able to make my own, I would order from Redco:

https://www.redco.com/Custom-Wall-Plates/

I have no affiliation with this vendor except as a satisfied, paying customer.

Yes, this is from Redco, under the custom wall plate section.

Would you believe I still haven't come to a decision on this?? I'm wondering if it will be better to just buy a premade snake box and forgo the complicated panel idea. I just want to get up and running at this point.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search