The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help! - Cables/Connectors for 50s Funkwerk RFT mic preamp - MV 4053
Old 23rd February 2019
Help! - Cables/Connectors for 50s Funkwerk RFT mic preamp - MV 4053

Hi,

I have just picked up a gorgeous looking 50s RFT tube mic preamp - model MV 4053.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could please help me work out what cables/connectors I need to use it - i.e. the names of the cables/connectors.

I've attached a couple of images of what the inputs/outputs look like.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! - Cables/Connectors for 50s Funkwerk RFT mic preamp - MV 4053-images.jpg   Help! - Cables/Connectors for 50s Funkwerk RFT mic preamp - MV 4053-preamp.jpg  
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

It would be helpful to include a scale so we have some sense of how big these are.

The input ("Eingang") connector looks something like the antenna connector that are used for automobile radios.

The output ("Ausgang") connector looks something like a dual-banana socket as used for speakers.

But without knowing the scale these guesses could be way off.
Old 24th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
It would be helpful to include a scale so we have some sense of how big these are.

The input ("Eingang") connector looks something like the antenna connector that are used for automobile radios.

The output ("Ausgang") connector looks something like a dual-banana socket as used for speakers.

But without knowing the scale these guesses could be way off.

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

I don't have the unit yet (it's on its way in the post) so I can't measure precisely how big the connections are.

But I think you are at least right about the dual banana socket.

I attach a picture of one where someone has used what appear to be dual banana sockets.

I'm thinking about taking it to a tech to get XLS wired onto it.

Or do you think I should give the connections that you suggested a go first? Although I'm not sure I can get XLR connectors for those.

I really appreciate you taking the time to post and help me out.

Any suggestions appreciated - I'm not a tech.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Help! - Cables/Connectors for 50s Funkwerk RFT mic preamp - MV 4053-download.jpg  
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

It is not clear whether the spacing between the banana sockets is the standard "double banana" spacing of 3/4 inch (~19mm). If it is the standard spacing, then you can use a plug like the one in my photo. But, if not, then you will need to use two separate plugs as shown in your more recent photo.

The input appears to be unbalanced and given the vintage, I would guess that it is high impedance. So you would likely need some kind of external transformer to convert from modern low-impedance, balanced (XLR) Unless you are going to use it with a high-impedance source like an instrument (guitar/bass) or a high-impedance, unbalanced mic. Since we don't know the scale, I have rather low confidence that the auto antenna connector may fit properly. In your more recent photo, it looks like they just removed the oddball connector and ran the wire out through the hole.
Old 24th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
It is not clear whether the spacing between the banana sockets is the standard "double banana" spacing of 3/4 inch (~19mm). If it is the standard spacing, then you can use a plug like the one in my photo. But, if not, then you will need to use two separate plugs as shown in your more recent photo.

The input appears to be unbalanced and given the vintage, I would guess that it is high impedance. So you would likely need some kind of external transformer to convert from modern low-impedance, balanced (XLR) Unless you are going to use it with a high-impedance source like an instrument (guitar/bass) or a high-impedance, unbalanced mic. Since we don't know the scale, I have rather low confidence that the auto antenna connector may fit properly. In your more recent photo, it looks like they just removed the oddball connector and ran the wire out through the hole.

Thank you for your generous replies sir. I really appreciate them.

I've decided to take it to a good tech and get it serviced and properly modded with an XLR input and output. Hopefully this is not too expensive.

It looks like a quality piece of equipment and it would be stupid of me not to treat it accordingly. I intend to use it on professional recordings in circumstances that call for something different from the same old neve/api/clean flavours I have at my disposal.

I'll post an update with photos and maybe sounds once it's modded.

Should be cool on drums and electric guitars I'm thinking.

Thanks again
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Now you need a "volkseigenes" Kristallmikrofon!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search