The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amp Sub Out>RCA/TRS> EQ >TS/RCA>Sub
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Amp Sub Out>RCA/TRS> EQ >TS/RCA>Sub

So I generally have a pretty good handle on basic wiring but this one got a bit wacky... I bought an EQ unit to put in front of my theater sub- I know this isn't a theater place, but I've been a member here for a while and thought this would be the place.

Anyhow... the amp puts out the standard RCA Sub Out. The EQ takes either 1/4 (balanced or unbalanced) or XLR and then outputs unbalanced 1/4 or XLR.

The sub however only takes RCA.

So, I've tried about everything I could think of that I had available to me, but nothing seemed to work. The logical setup was this RCA out converted to TRS into the EQ, then because its only mono- unbalanced out I'm using a 1/4 TS cable that converts back to an RCA going into the sub... Seems just dirty enough to work right? WRONG. I'm thinking it has to do with the levels or something... or I've been duped and the unit is just broken.

PLEASE SEND HELP!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable cabling setup to me--two RCA to 1/4" TS cables, one for the input and one for the output.

Maybe you have some setting wrong on the EQ. Is there an overall level control that is turned down? Is the power on? Does it have a mute that is engaged? Does it have a high-pass filter set too high for the sub? Or maybe you aren't getting output from the sub out connection for some reason, or the sub isn't working; does it do anything if connected directly to the sub out, without the EQ in line? I realize these are generally super simple things to have wrong, but it's far too easy to make a mistake on one of them and not notice it...at least it is for me.

It would not hurt to check the cables you're using. Particularly if they are not new cables, there's the chance that something is open, usually at one or the other connector. These days usually new cables are okay, but even that is not a 100% positive guarantee.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search