The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
XLR to 3.5 mm question Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
XLR to 3.5 mm question

Hi

I have modified a mono 3.5 mm jack -> XLR male

I needed to exchange the xlr male connector to a female connector. So I switched the xlr connector and resoldered.

Since I'm not very experienced in soldering or how xlr cables work this was a bit of an experiment for me.

I got the soldering quite ok, but when testing a microphone (sennheiser e 835) the incoming signal is really low. What could be the reason for this? Does the mic need phantom power in order to work correctly?

Again, I'm not so experienced in this area :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The e835 is a dynamic microphone and does not need phantom power.

What sort of input are you connecting it to? A dynamic microphone's output is a quite low-level signal.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Thanks for your reply :-)

I'm using it to take up sound in the environment, want to use my iphone as a field recorder for a sound design project.

I do get a signal on my iphone (using the native recording app). But I'm little bit worried that the signal will be to low so I'm not going be able to take it up to a good level in the post processing without also getting noise (I need a good recording)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

So, an iPhone. The input there is designed for a condenser microphone, such as is typically used with headphones/headsets. Your dynamic microphone puts out a significantly lower signal than those microphones, so you get a quieter recording.

If you can beg or borrow or buy a field recorder that might be a better option; less convenient, but perhaps better and more consistent results. Another option is some sort of little mixer (with a microphone preamplifier) that can connect to and work with an iPhone; one example that might be suitable for your use (not the only one) is the Roland GO:Mixer Pro.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Thanks for the tip, I'll try to find something similar :-)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search