The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hum from Headphone amp with 220V with 110V adapter
Old 14th February 2019
Here for the gear

Hum from Headphone amp with 220V with 110V adapter

Hello

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. Sorry if it isnt. Ive done some googling about this and cant really find a solution.

I have a headphone amp with 220V power and it has a 110V adapter. It makes a ton of noise and I am assuming its because of this. Anyone know a way to make this thing quiet?

Thanks

Jason
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

This is as good a place as any. We can probably work on sorting this out, but we will need some details.
What headphone amp are you asking about?
When you say "it has a 110V adapter", does that mean it is built-in to the headphone amp, or a separate piece?
When you say "ton of noise", can you identify the noise? Hiss? Hum? Random ("popcorn") noise?
Is it making this noise on its own (without connection to the audio source)?
Does it pass audio at all, or are you hearing only noise and no audio signal?
If the audio signal is present, how loud is the noise relative to the audio signal?

We assume that you are operating with 110V power mains?
If you complete your user profile to reveal what country you are in, that is often helpful.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for the reply.

Its an img Stage Line PPA-1

Ill have to take a pic of the plug. Looks like the European style plug and has a cheap black plastic adapter that allows it to be plugged into US outlet. Not sure aboiut all the volt stuff--probably shouldve just left that out as I am not sure.

The noise is a hum...i dont know enough about it but I think it is a grounding thing. Both the hardwired power cord and adapter are two prong. It does pass audio and hum is loud enough to make it unusable. I will take a pic of cord and adapter, listen more intently to what its doing (so I can describe better), and fill out my profile...isnt everyone from the US? Lol...sorry about that.

Thanks...will post more soon.

Jason
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjason71 View Post
Thanks so much for the reply.

Its an img Stage Line PPA-1

Ill have to take a pic of the plug. Looks like the European style plug and has a cheap black plastic adapter that allows it to be plugged into US outlet. Not sure aboiut all the volt stuff--probably shouldve just left that out as I am not sure.

The noise is a hum...i dont know enough about it but I think it is a grounding thing. Both the hardwired power cord and adapter are two prong. It does pass audio and hum is loud enough to make it unusable. I will take a pic of cord and adapter, listen more intently to what its doing (so I can describe better), and fill out my profile...isnt everyone from the US? Lol...sorry about that.

Thanks...will post more soon.

Jason
So, it does NOT have a ground?
Sounds like it needs/wants to be grounded..
It could also be a polarity issue, if the hum is real loud that sounds more like something other than or in addition to NO ground.
All gear should be grounded with a few exceptions..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Your img Stage Line PPA-1is designed for operation from 230V mains power. That is what it says on the back if you look at it.
You cannot operate it from the 115V power commonly available in North America.
Your little plastic plug adapter will only convert the plug, it does nothing about the voltage.
If you want to use that unit on 115V power, then you need a proper voltage converter.
For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-.../dp/B006NRXXCG

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ah, I see. Just took some picks and did see that it says 230V. I'll give it a shot! Thanks so much for your help.

J

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search