The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1/4” to 3.5mm headphone adapter with strong connection Headphone Amps
Old 11th February 2019
Here for the gear

1/4” to 3.5mm headphone adapter with strong connection

Hi all,

I recently put together a silent rehearsal system for my band, which includes a Tascam MH-8 and a bunch of headphone extension cables. Since the extension cables are 1/4 male to female, I bought a bunch of adapters to allow for the typical 3.5mm jacks on IEMs.

Some band members are however having issues with intermittent connections due to these adapters. I had feared this might happen and I did order from a decent brand in the hope that the all-metal design would prevent this but it would seem not. The contact between the male 3.5mm jack on the IEMs and the female 3.5mm plug (jack?) on the adapter is the culprit.

Does anyone know how this can be prevented? Is there a particular brand that you recommend for these simple adapters? Something that provides a tight and reliable contact with the IEMs? I know there’s only so much that could be done given the diversity of IEM manufacturers in our band, but all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

1) You could try various brands until you find one that seems reliable.
2) You could just buy them by the dozen and have a candy-dish full of them as "consumables".

I have given up on (1) but perhaps you have better luck than me
I have resorted to (2) in the absence of (1).

OTOH, if you were talking about connecting to a panel jack (vs the cord end of an extension)
then I have been using right-angle adapters which see more reliable IME
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

In some cases, I have also made extension cables with 1/4 inch (6.3mm) plugs at one end and "proper" 3.5mm female connectors at the other end. There are good name brand 3.5mm female cable-end connectors such as Neutrik, etc. They will have a much better expected longevity than any adapter. If you don't want to DIY, you could have cables made for you with your choice of connectors and wire, etc. If I didn't make my own cables, I would order them from Redco who make custom cables at sensible prices, IMHO.
Old 3rd March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
In some cases, I have also made extension cables with 1/4 inch (6.3mm) plugs at one end and "proper" 3.5mm female connectors at the other end. There are good name brand 3.5mm female cable-end connectors such as Neutrik, etc. They will have a much better expected longevity than any adapter. If you don't want to DIY, you could have cables made for you with your choice of connectors and wire, etc. If I didn't make my own cables, I would order them from Redco who make custom cables at sensible prices, IMHO.
Hi Richard,

Late reply here but just wanted to say thanks for your advice. A handful of folks are having issues so I'm going to be ordering some cables from Redco as you suggest. Fingers crossed this will solve things for everyone.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Isn't there something like the ones for headphones with a screw - but then the 3.5 mm plugs have to have the opposite part of the screw.

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search