The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying an XLR cable not so simple?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Buying an XLR cable not so simple?

Alright....

UGREEN, VAN DAMME, Neutrik... Oh my...

Right, I wanted an XLR cable to connect from my SUB to monitors. Audio quality, good insulation etc is important, I have no clue..


What are the thoughts on cables here? Any recommendations for a basic XLR cable?

This is for home music listening in a very quiet environment.

CHEERS!
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Here for the gear
 

I dunno... I went for these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Was pretty simple in the end then.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Thanks, but I don't really see it that way, I still have no idea if this was a sensible choice. This is a very quiet forum compared to what I am used to, does anybody around here have/share there opinions? Am I in the wrong section? Never got many opinions on my SUB choice either.

I still don't know yours, if you have one.

I used to use AV forums, lively place, lots of opinions, always much to learn. However this seemed to be the place for the studio direction I have been taking, vs my previous HC enthusiasm, but nobody says much

And when they do....
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Was pretty simple in the end then.
:/
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Any XLR cable with decent connectors over a short run will work for that, I wouldn’t sweat it.

Also, a lot of audio professionals are weary about audiophiles and their fancy cables. We all make records with 20 dollar cables that they listen to through 1500 dollars.

Last edited by bobtheninja; 1 week ago at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheninja View Post
Any XLR cable with decent connectors over a short run will work for that, I wouldn’t sweat it.

Also, a lot of audio professionals are weary about audiophiles and their fancy cables. We all make records with 20 dollar cables that they listen to through 1500 dollars.
Thank you sir, appreciated and if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean decent connectors? I really am brand new to all this studio stuff and youtube and google are not turning up much.

And no I absolutely understand that, I myself have felt for a long time that once you go over a certain price point for cables (quality build and shielding) it really can get very ridiculous.

This is what I am trying to avoid here, being on a budget, spending £5.99 vs £25.99 for a cable definitely is a factor
Old 1 week ago
  #7
I would go for the 26 GBP one. It’ll be more flexible and last longer. Basically, there’s not much of a sound difference, but there is a difference in longevity between cheap and expensoce cables. Neutrik and Amphenol are two brands that make good connectors. The quality of the cable also matters, ie. how easily will it coil, is it prone to tangling, etc.

What I do is to buy cable and conncectors in bulk and solder it up myself. That way I can make any length that I might need, and I save a lot of money in the long run. That wouldn’t be sensible for just one cable, though, so I’d go for the 26 GBP one and not worry any more about it. If you’re on a really tight budget you could buy the cheaper one as long as you don’t plan on plugging and unplugging it a lot, but I think 6 GPB sound a little too cheap (neutrik connectors cost around 4 GBP from memory each, so I’m sure they use cheap chinese ones, which may or may not be of good quality).

Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Head
 

+1 Amphenol! Very happy with them.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Gear Head
 

Any decent cable will generally run $1 per foot or more. You can shop on amazon, ebay, etc. and possibly get lucky with something in your price range there. For what you want it for any generic will do. It's not like it will be out gigging every weekend getting abused. I have a few generic cables I get from the guy who works on my guitars. Twenty foot cable for $15. And they're made well and sound great.
Go to a music store and look at their cables. Find something you like. If it's too expensive for you then find something similar online in your price range. You shouldn't need anything more than 10 ft?
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Led Music's Avatar
Buy some bulk Mogami and Neutrik connectors and make your own
Simple and Fun
Or... just buy from this guy https://geistnote.com/ he’s great too
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

I would stay away from those Molded cheap cables, they don't last...
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Thank you very much for the info and suggestions it's much appreciated, I don't have the means to DIY right now, maybe in the future. This is a one time buy for home Hi-Fi purposes.

Does anybody have a clue the difference between these two cables? I just can't figure it out but the price is a big difference.

I have a ton of electrics around so shielding is super important.

NC3FXX-B-VDSQWE0200-NC3MXX-B

https://www.amazon.co.uk/designacabl...D8F7SVFCK&th=1

NC3FXX-VDMIWE0200-NC3MXX

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBigness View Post

I still don't know yours, if you have one.

I used to use AV forums, lively place, lots of opinions, always much to learn. However this seemed to be the place for the studio direction I have been taking, vs my previous HC enthusiasm, but nobody says much

And when they do....

:/
All I was trying to say is that the cable you chose is fine for your purpose.

As to nobody saying much....bear in mind this is a huge forum covering a broad subject.
Cables and connectors section probably isn't the first place most of us are heading when we're here....Honestly I didn't even realise there was one!
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBigness View Post
Thank you very much for the info and suggestions it's much appreciated, I don't have the means to DIY right now, maybe in the future. This is a one time buy for home Hi-Fi purposes.

Does anybody have a clue the difference between these two cables? I just can't figure it out but the price is a big difference.

I have a ton of electrics around so shielding is super important.

NC3FXX-B-VDSQWE0200-NC3MXX-B

https://www.amazon.co.uk/designacabl...D8F7SVFCK&th=1

NC3FXX-VDMIWE0200-NC3MXX

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Yes, one is gold connectors the other is not.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 

The more expensive cable uses more expensive connectors.
Gold plated pins vs. nickel. Black shell vs. silver.
Will that make any difference to you? No.
Will that make any difference to the profit made by "designcable"? Yes.

If you think there aren't long knock-down, drag-out arguments over "cable quality" then you must be hew around here.
Most of us are just tired of the endless arguments over what appears to be completely subjective personal preference.

It would be almost impossible to find a commercial cable at any price that will make any audible difference.
You have a balanced, low-impedance, very short distance interconnection.
That is probably the LEAST sensitive of all possible situations to "cable quality".

One of my favorite quotes is from right here in GearSlutz:

A £200 cable is better than a £2 cable. But it is not better than a £5 cable.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBigness View Post

Does anybody have a clue the difference between these two cables? I just can't figure it out but the price is a big difference.
Starquad cable and a slightly different connector with gold plating.
Theoretically the starquad is more resistant to electrical interference but in practice I'd be very surprised if any half decent balanced cable wasn't perfectly good enough in your use case. (Short cable, fixed installation)

As you already ordered something why not just see if it works when it turns up. If it does you made the right choice. You don't need to overthink this.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Thank you very much gentlemen.

It's literally spaghetti junction behind my A/V cabinet so definitely shielding was a huge concern.

I will try the ones I ordered hopefully I won;t experience any interference/noise
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 

I have never heard of anyone cite first-hand experience where "star-quad" cable actually made any audible difference in reducing noise susceptibility. All we have ever heard is people repeating the marketing claims of people trying to sell us on more expensive cable.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
O.F.F.'s Avatar
 

Rule of thumb:
If it is a mic cable get regular Neutriks, if it is a cable you plug in once and then keep it there for a long time get gold plated ones.

Reason being regular Neutriks have a thick silver plating on the pins. Silver tarnishes over time and after a year or so plugged into the same socket it may give rise to problems. They have wipers built in which clean the contacts every time you plug and unplug the cable.
Gold plated ones do not tarnish but the plating is thin and wears off quickly if you keep plugging it in and out.

Star quad may make a difference if you are next to a radio station but otherwise it just increases capacitance which you don't want.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
Rule of thumb:
If it is a mic cable get regular Neutriks, if it is a cable you plug in once and then keep it there for a long time get gold plated ones.

Reason being regular Neutriks have a thick silver plating on the pins. Silver tarnishes over time and after a year or so plugged into the same socket it may give rise to problems. They have wipers built in which clean the contacts every time you plug and unplug the cable.
Gold plated ones do not tarnish but the plating is thin and wears off quickly if you keep plugging it in and out.

Star quad may make a difference if you are next to a radio station but otherwise it just increases capacitance which you don't want.


Oh man.. Alright, thank you.

This is all that good stuff i needed to know before I went and ordered the regular Neutriks ;0;
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Here for the gear
 
JohnnyShotgun's Avatar
 

Try to match connectors. Nowadays every big manufacturer use neutriks on their products. I’ve tried neutrik & switchcraft and neutriks feel like a lot tighter connection, switchcrafts feel a little bit loose but still tight. I think it is due to the countries where they are made and the unit system they use.
Old 1 week ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyShotgun View Post
Try to match connectors. Nowadays every big manufacturer use neutriks on their products. I’ve tried neutrik & switchcraft and neutriks feel like a lot tighter connection, switchcrafts feel a little bit loose but still tight. I think it is due to the countries where they are made and the unit system they use.
Interesting, I have experienced just the opposite.
Esp Neutrik XLRF.. Don't like them at all..BUT they make 2 different kinds of chassis mnt XLRF..but neither is very good IMHO..
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Here for the gear
 
JohnnyShotgun's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Interesting, I have experienced just the opposite.
I mean, it feels a lot more friction when plugging neutriks. I like both brands, soon I will make an a/b comparison between Neutrik, Switchcraft, Amphenol and Abbatron xlr connectors
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyShotgun View Post
I mean, it feels a lot more friction when plugging neutriks. I like both brands, soon I will make an a/b comparison between Neutrik, Switchcraft, Amphenol and Abbatron xlr connectors
Some of that friction can be from the connector itself..
IM going by that PLUS how the connections are designed.
Same thing for the typical IEC power cord, some of the friction is simply the connector, Not the connections, have seen some of those literally fall out and loose power..
Old 1 week ago
  #25
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
I have never heard of anyone cite first-hand experience where "star-quad" cable actually made any audible difference in reducing noise susceptibility. All we have ever heard is people repeating the marketing claims of people trying to sell us on more expensive cable.
I think start quad is better for a singer who moves around on stage. When the cable is moving, the star quads tend to not make any noise. where as a non-star quad will make a noise "once in a while" when moving and stepped on...on stage.

But that is a special case. For cables in the back of a rack...I agree with Richard.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
PopcornPig / Newbie audio engineering + production question zone
10
Brent / DIY electronic build + refurbishment photo diaries
8
JVD / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
8

Forum Jump
Forum Jump