The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which cables? Studio Monitors
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Which cables?

Hi, I’m about to order the Behringer umc404HD to record a volca and po-33 into my daw. Just got some few questions cause the fact I’m a newbie.

Both volca and Po-33 are mono, but the outputs are mini jacks. I have a few standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and a couple of adapters from 3.5mm to 6.3mm. The behringer got 4 combo xlr inputs. I don’t know if those inputs can handle a stereo signal, although the sounds they both produce are mono. Does this work and if not what cables do I need?

Also the main outs are 6.3mm or XLR. The device also has playback outputs which goes with RCA. I already have some good rca cables for my monitors, but no 6.3mm or RCA cables. For what purpose are those playback outs?

Those Inserts on the back are for external hardware like mixers isn’t it? So if I want to connect something like the Behringer micromix to it for extra inputs, does this go thru the combo xlr inputs or the inserts?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenf99 View Post
Both volca and Po-33 are mono, but the outputs are mini jacks. I have a few standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and a couple of adapters from 3.5mm to 6.3mm. The behringer got 4 combo xlr inputs. I don’t know if those inputs can handle a stereo signal, although the sounds they both produce are mono. Does this work and if not what cables do I need?
No. The inputs on the umc404HD are balanced mono.
You would need to split the stereo signal into two unbalanced signals or just use one of them (if they are mono anyway).
Something like this.

Quote:
Also the main outs are 6.3mm or XLR. The device also has playback outputs which goes with RCA. I already have some good rca cables for my monitors, but no 6.3mm or RCA cables. For what purpose are those playback outs?
The XLR and 6.3 Jacks are balanced outputs.
The RCA are unbalanced.

Quote:
Those Inserts on the back are for external hardware like mixers isn’t it? So if I want to connect something like the Behringer micromix to it for extra inputs, does this go thru the combo xlr inputs or the inserts?
Inserts are meant to put something in between the signal.
Compression or EQ for example.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Thanks for your reply!

So 2 cables like this;

pro snake TPY 2015 KPP – Thomann Nederland

Would be enough to connect them. So I can leave one cable out of interface? Doesn’t this effect the volume and Left and right signal? Seems kinda weird to leave some cables out of it. I don’t really see 3.5mm cable to Mono jack.

Or should this work aswell?

pro snake 15776 – Thomann Nederland

Mini jack is mono now.

Guess I need some jack cables for my monitors then. I got the presonus eris e4.5 which have TRS 6.3mm connectors. Do I need TRS 6.3mm to TS or TRS 6.3mm?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Yep. Both will work, but the latter will short the output of one side.
If the output is mono you only need one side and record that (and put it in the middle to get signal on both speakers on a stereo mix).
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
So the last option would be the best to go for as it would cut out this problems?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
I would go for the first cable (if you need to record anything stereo later you can) and it will not short your output.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
What do you mean with short the output? I’m not really planning on buying something stereo so that’s not a problem actually. I just want to make sure I only use 2 inputs so I have room for a drummachine and a mic.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
What do you mean with short the output?
Your stereo 3.5mm jack outputs have signal on the tip and ring.
Using a mono plug there will shorten the ring with the sleeve.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
So the volume is more quiet or what? The feeling and looks of leaving cables out still seems to look quit.. Weird. If the minijack mono to 6.3mm jack mono would work and there are no issues of panning the audio etc. I think I would go for last option still.

To connect my speakers which got TRS connectors do I need TRS to TS or TRS?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
So the volume is more quiet or what? The feeling and looks of leaving cables out still seems to look quit.. Weird. If the minijack mono to 6.3mm jack mono would work and there are no issues of panning the audio etc. I think I would go for last option still.
Do whatever feels good.
If it works depends on how the hardware (synth) is wired.

Quote:
To connect my speakers which got TRS connectors do I need TRS to TS or TRS?
TRS > TRS or XLR > TRS
(Balanced cables)
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Alright, thanks for the help!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search