The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Urghh.. Just don't get it.. Do I need an additional I/O or a Patchbay at this point?
Old 2nd January 2019
Here for the gear

Urghh.. Just don't get it.. Do I need an additional I/O or a Patchbay at this point?

Hi there!

After having searched around for days I'm still not sure what to do, my brain is numb..

I don't have enough connections in my Apollo Quad (silver) for my outboard gear I have thought of several scenarios:

A) Make som sort of weird chain within my gear, and use the bypass button on the gear I don't want to use in said chain... doesn't seem very flexible.

B) Purchase another I/O and make the connections in my DAW - which I can't do since I'm completely skinned

C) Purchase a TRS patchbay like the Neutrik NYS-SPP-L1 - this should allow me to plug all of my gear into it - but I still only have 8 I/O's

My aim is to be able to use all of my gear in a convenient manner.

I have a decent collection of gear at this point, Massive Passive EQ, Distressor, DBX comps and 5 pieces of FX-units + a few cheap EQ's and compressors that are fun.

If anyone should have time to read and answer I'd be very thankful!!
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Nut

The ideal, most flexible scenario is to have an interface with enough I/O to handle your outboard gear and route through busses on your DAW to dedicated output and input channels. That's asking a lot.

The next best would be to use a patch bay that could patch your outputs or bus outs to specific outs, then you could patch and chain your outboard gear at will. It might require multiple passes to achieve the result, but it is workable...
Old 2nd January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
The ideal, most flexible scenario is to have an interface with enough I/O to handle your outboard gear and route through busses on your DAW to dedicated output and input channels. That's asking a lot.

The next best would be to use a patch bay that could patch your outputs or bus outs to specific outs, then you could patch and chain your outboard gear at will. It might require multiple passes to achieve the result, but it is workable...
This makes sense - thank you very much for clearing the fog!
Old 5th January 2019
Put all your Apollo I/O and your outboard I/O on a patchbay. Should go a long way with that alone. If you need more I/O, get an ADAT interface to expand your Apollo. Put all the ADAT interface's I/O on the bay too. Profit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Patch bay is the way to go, but only if you get a good enough one not to add noise to the system. Redco make a good one for $500.

But be ware, the cable cost of patch bays can add up, plan to get out the iron.

Below SwitchCraft and Redo quality, I would not suggest a patch bay. If you can't afford a decent one, just deal with re-plugging stuff till you can.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search