The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me figure out where the ground hum is coming from (and not poetry) Mixers (Analog)
Old 4 weeks ago
Help me figure out where the ground hum is coming from (and not poetry)

Hi Guys,

I have a XLR to TRS Seismic Audio 15 foot audio snake that's coming out of my Spirit FX16 Mixing Desk's XLR's into an ART 48 Point Balanced Patch Bay. I'm getting some rather dodgy ground hum on two stereo pair channels in particular. When I mute them on my mixing desk, the hum pretty much goes away but is still there in the background.

The two channels that have the hum are a synth and a sampler - both not powered on. Other channels plugged into the patch bay via the snake are fine. For whatever reason, it's just these four individual leads that are giving me grief!

When I plug the leads directly out of the synth/sampler into my mixer the hum disappears. That tells me it's in the snake somewhere. What I don't understand is where it's picking up the interference? In fact, upon a little more digging I'm finding that I'm getting less noticeable hum across all channels being used with the snake.

I've just moved and this has never been an issue using the same configuration. Help?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It sounds like a broken wire connection inside the snake. Do you have a Digital Multi-Meter (DMM) with an Ohm scale? If not budget DMM's only cost a few dollars and will be good enough.
Measure from end-to-end and each channel should measure the same as all the others.
Some DMM's have a continuity function which makes it even easier.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search