The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TRS unbalanced vs TRS balanced
Old 29th January 2020
Here for the gear

Hi folks I think this is on subject not sure..

Would I be able to plug in two lavalier mikes to have them on separate L/R channels via the below Y connector;

https://www.amazon.com.au/Hosa-Stere...271536&sr=8-16

And plug it into a Zoom F1 which has one of these unbalanced TRS imputs?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...der.html/specs
Old 29th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
There's actually a third: Using one jack, plug and cable to accommodate both the send and return of an unbalanced insert point.
That's "2) TWO channel, UNBALANCED audio" methinks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You should really read these two articles about this: the first one explains how balanced audio works with a very useful series of pictures, and the second one goes over all of the types of signal that use balanced and unbalanced connections:

Pro Audio Blog – Cabling & Connections: The Basics

Pro Audio Blog – Cabling & Connections: Signal Types

Edit: I just noticed you meant lavalier mics. What that adapter will do is send both microphones through the single MONO balanced input. There's a small chance it could work, but the resulting signal will have both mics "pre-mixed" into mono, and the blanket answer is you shouldn't even if that's what you wanted. Lavalier mics use plug-in power, and I wouldn't recommend using any splitters with any mic that requires power, be it plug-in power or phantom power.

Try it out if you're OK with the signals being mixed, but there's a small chance of distortion and of ruining the mics. Possibly still cheaper and simpler than buying two separate recorders.

The correct thing to do, as you well know, is to have two separate channels. The F1 has two inputs so you'll at least have that. I assume you want 3–4 mics?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
You should really read these two articles about this: the first one explains how balanced audio works with a very useful series of pictures, and the second one goes over all of the types of signal that use balanced and unbalanced connections:

Pro Audio Blog – Cabling & Connections: The Basics

Pro Audio Blog – Cabling & Connections: Signal Types
Those are good sources.

Thank you for posting them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search