The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Conductive Thermoplastic shield in cable - what do you do with it?!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Conductive Thermoplastic shield in cable - what do you do with it?!

I've got some van damme XKE instr. cable that has this hard thermoplastic shield round the signal wire.
It's conductive, but I'm assuming I should cut it/strip it away, or can you just solder the whole thing in?

No idea. It's not easy to remove it from the wire hence the question.

Also, while anyone is there, could you confirm the following for me:

Going from balanced (interface) outs to unbalanced (power amp) ins, where I won't be using that cable for anything else, I can use a regular TS to RCA cable.

If I wanted to go from an unbalanced source to a balanced input though, I would tie the shield and cold together (to ground) at the unbalanced source end.
Is that correct?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
I've got some van damme XKE instr. cable that has this hard thermoplastic shield round the signal wire.
It's conductive, but I'm assuming I should cut it/strip it away, or can you just solder the whole thing in?

No idea. It's not easy to remove it from the wire hence the question.
Since the conductive material is deposited onto plastic, you cannot solder to it. But you must not allow it to touch the center conductor, either. So you must strip it back from the center conductor insulation at a safe distance from the termination. Of course, the ground/shield/screen connection is easily made to the copper shield around the conductive layer.

Quote:
Going from balanced (interface) outs to unbalanced (power amp) ins, where I won't be using that cable for anything else, I can use a regular TS to RCA cable.
Yes, that is exactly correct.

Quote:
If I wanted to go from an unbalanced source to a balanced input though, I would tie the shield and cold together (to ground) at the unbalanced source end.
Is that correct?
Yes, also correct.

You might find this reference handy:
Sound System Interconnection
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Thank you Richard.

With hindsight, I guess it was a pretty stupid question, but I wouldn't have known/thought to be extra careful with the shield not touching the terminations, again obvious when you think about it, but my brain just saw it as plastic so thanks for the heads up there too!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search