The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how to connect RCA subwoofer to monitors? (with pics) Audio Interfaces
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

how to connect RCA subwoofer to monitors? (with pics)

Hi guys,

I want to buy an audio interface and cables that will get this set up working - I have an old sub (Wharfedale Powercube 10a) with RCA ins and outs:

https://i.imgur.com/qvA0hHN.jpg

And new monitors with RCA and TRS inputs:

https://i.imgur.com/Q5BDPvBr.jpg

Can anyone recommend me a cheap audio interface that will get this set up working and the cables needed to go from
audio interface > RCA in on sub > RCA out on sub > TRS or RCA input on monitors

Should I run TRS to RCA input or RCA to RCA input from the audio interface to the sub?

And should I run a single RCA from the left out on the sub to the left monitor and the same for the right?

https://showmecables-static.scdn3.se...ch-cable-2.jpg
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
The setup is fairly simple. Your cheap interface will likely have TRS phone jack outputs or (less likely) XLR outputs. You need to purchase two adapters to go from TRS or XLR balanced to rca female. RCA cables are unbalanced. You will have some fairly long rca cable runs, so measure and order the length you need. Then you run a pair, or two single rca cables from your interface outputs through the adapters to your subwoofer rca inputs, and two more single rca cables from your subwoofer rca outputs to your monitors, which do have rca inputs. Done.
I hope your ancient Wharfedale is in good condition. It was considered very good in its time, but at 100 watts is underpowered by today’s standards, even considering that the Wharfedale drivers were more efficient than most. This sub only goes down to 45 hz. Wharfedale put out a later version that went down to 35 hz. For studio playback and monitoring, you don’t see many (any?) subwoofer’s that don’t claim to reach into the thirties.
Depending on the genres to which you listen, how loud you listen, and the condition of the sub, this could be a clever combination or a disappointment. PLEASE post back in this thread and let us know how this turns out.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

If you are asking about acquiring a new interface (presuming you mean a computer USB audio interface?)
If I were looking for a budget USB to audio interface I would look at Behringer UCA202 or UMC22

If your interface has TRS outputs, then use TS to RCA cable from the interface to the subwoofer.
For example: Hosa CPR-200 which is available from 1m to 6m length.
If your interface has RCA ouputs then use an RCA to RCA cable from the interface to the subwoofer.
For example: Hosa CRA-200 which is available from 1m to 6m length.

Then, from the subwoofer to each of your powered Left and Right speakers: An RCA to RCA cable.
Two of them as presumably you will be going from the sub out to the Left and Right speakers in opposite directions.
For example: Hosa CRA-100 which is available from 3ft to 20ft length.

Behringer UCA202 UCA202 | Interfaces | Computer Audio | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Tribe
Behringer UMC22 UMC22 | Interfaces | Computer Audio | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Tribe

Hosa CPR-200 Stereo Interconnect - Hosa Technology
Hosa CRA-200 Stereo Interconnect - Hosa Technology
Hosa CRA-100 Unbalanced Interconnect - Hosa Technology

If you had completed your user profile to reveal your location, we might have more localized information to offer.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search