The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Combine analog channel strips together for more eq?
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear
Combine analog channel strips together for more eq?

Not sure if I'm using the right term whether it's daisy chaining or side chaining but I'd like to put these little Hosa TS cables(originally for a diy synth) to use on my SL3242 FX PRO Behringer Eurorack analog mixer by using them in multiple channels and possibly combining them as more EQ for a single channel used for my main mic input for recording my vocals. It's just something I'd like to experiment with and I no longer have plans to make a modular synth so I was wondering if this is possible? I'm not sure whether these go into their line mic input or insert input i've tried both.

Picture of model:
https://medias.audiofanzine.com/imag...-pro-40032.jpg
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

Chain channel strips for double EQ. TS vs. TRS connections.

If the objective is to chain two channel strips together to double the amount of EQ on a sound, sure, that is certainly done. Not sure if your Hosa TS cables will work or not on your board for this purpose. I didn't see a Direct Out on the board, so you would have to come out of the send side of the channel insert; don't know if that would be Tip or Ring, check the manual. Or you could send the first channel out to an unused sub-channel, or an unused effects send. Then pick the signal up and bring it into the second channel strip, at the line-in would be best (and is certainly pre-EQ). You could possibly bring it into the second channel at the insert jack, if it is pre-EQ, just not certain if the TS cable will work there.

In each case, and especially using TS cables, there is a concern if the 1/4" jack on a board is wired up TRS. Sometimes you can trick it by just inserting the plug to the first notch (the ring). In some cases, a TS cable can cause a problem by shorting the jack's sleeve and ring connections. It's best to use TRS plugs in TRS jacks if possible. There are plenty of various types of adapter cables out there, specifically ones made just for insert points with a male TRS plug splitting out to two TS plugs; I have some, made by Hosa!

Anyway, you can certainly daisy chain (connect in series) two channel strips together, given the correct output and input ports (jacks) and correct cables. Once connected together, your sound signal will flow into the first channel strip, then on into the second; then send or assign it to your track, or the main out, or wherever you want it to go. Just take care in adjusting the trims & gains, especially if boosting bands with EQ. Keep levels within optimum operating ranges, and you can have your sound with "Double EQ".

Hope that helps. If your main objective is just to use those TS cables, well, they might work with your board as described above, or ... if not ... maybe a good excuse to buy a new synth with a patch setup that needs them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search