The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What good quality audio cables for listening music?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

What good quality audio cables for listening music?

Hi,

I have a set of B&W DM110i speakers.... now currently have some cheap audio cables (thin) hooked them up to my amp. Wondering what would be good quality thick audio cables for this setup?
I am into analog vinyl listening and also planning to buy a set of DM330i's.

This is my AMP : JVC Stereo REceiver RX 6001RGD

I have very sensitive ears!

Someone told me about getting 'banana plugs'?

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

We don't know what you mean by "thin"? So we don't know what you mean by "thick", either?
We also don't know what distance you are talking about between your receiver and your speakers?

I saw a nice combination on Amazon: Amazon.com: Monoprice 109436 Copper Speaker Banana Plugs Closed Screw Type (5-Pair) and AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet Bundle: Home Audio & Theater
100 ft of 16Ga wire plus 5 pair of banana plugs for $20.
Dunno whether that is even available where you are because we don't know where you are, either?
(You can complete your user profile to at least reveal what country you are in)

It appears that your amplifier doesn't use banana plugs, so you will have to twist and insert the amp-end of your cable into those spring clips.
Old 1 week ago
i just recently wired the home stereo with:
KnuKonceptz Kord Kable 10 Gauge Copper Speaker Wire
It was about $1 a foot on amazon, build quality is good, it's made of so-called "oxygen-free" copper, the jacket's not the type that degrades and becomes sticky after a few years, and it sounds fine with my B&Ws. I'm of the camp that believes that properly specified, decently made cables are the way to go.

The other question is the cable length. The longer the cable run, the larger diameter cable you need (aka a lower gauge number). If you're running under 25', even the 10 gauge cable I mentioned above is overkill (12 would have been fine), but won't hurt.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Don't fall for the oxygen free marketing hype guys.... All copper used in the conduction of electrical signals including power cables are 99.90% oxygen free.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyquist View Post
Don't fall for the oxygen free marketing hype guys.... All copper used in the conduction of electrical signals including power cables are 99.90% oxygen free.
that's why I said "so called oxygen-free"
I will say, though, that some of the lamp cord you get at hardware stores, as well as most of the cheapo RCA cables and such, sometimes contains a pretty low amount of copper material; at least the "OFC" stuff is likely to be copper!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
that's why I said "so called oxygen-free"
I will say, though, that some of the lamp cord you get at hardware stores, as well as most of the cheapo RCA cables and such, sometimes contains a pretty low amount of copper material; at least the "OFC" stuff is likely to be copper!
I wouldn't bet on it. Since essentially ALL copper out in the Real world is 99.99% "oxygen-free", the term means absolutely nothing. It is just another fraudulent sales gimmick invented by by the marketing wanks.

It is true that you have a significant risk of getting CCA (copper-clad aluminum) or CCS (copper-clad steel) wire when you order from generic sources in Asia. Sometimes they will disclose the actual conductor type, but often it is not mentioned which leaves the question open. But I have never seen CCA or CCS at my hardware store or big-box home improvement place.

Saying that your copper is "oxygen-free" is like saying that something is known to cause cancer in California. When everything is "known to cause cancer" then the "warning" ceases to be useful.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Just get pure copper 12 or 14 gauge wire depending on length needed with 50 to 60 strands or so and forget the banana plugs, all they can do is degrade the sound, use a hard wired direct connection. If you go to a audio store get Audioquest 14 gauge from the spool wire a bit less than 2 bucks a foot and you're all set.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I live in the netherlands, will soon place a picture of my audio setup!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A picture won.t be needed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Picture(s) are not necessary, The only critical factors are:
1) What size is the wire you are using now?
2) What is the distance between your amplifier and your speakers?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
My amplifier will simply not output anything at all if the speaker cables cost less than one dollar per foot. Somehow it knows.

Last edited by Bushman; 1 week ago at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Space (not the final frontier)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search