The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me get my Vinyl player working! Studio Monitors
Old 10th July 2018
Here for the gear

Help me get my Vinyl player working!

Hey guys.

I'm sorry if this post makes anyone angry - it should.

So about 6 months ago i got excited about Vinyl, i bought a Vinyl player (Sony Sony PS-HX500) with the intention of hooking it up to my M-AUDIO MX5 speakers.

Now here's the thing. I am the least technical person on the planet. I have NO idea how to connect the Vinyl player to the speakers.

The speakers have TRS input cables, i have figured out. The Vinyl player seems to have PHONO outputs, a Left and a Right.

All the Phono to TRS cables i have seen online seem to be 2 phono's (L & R) to ONE TRS, which is no good, as i have Two phono outputs to two TRS cables (one on each speaker). Can anyone point me to the right cable? Or am i coming at this completely wrong?

Also - a bonus question - i have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Why do i insist on buying things i don't know how to use!?) I would like to do some vinyl sampling, and know that i need to go through the Audio Interface to get Vinyl > Digital. The 2i2 has input of USB-B, and so does the Vinyl player. Is it simply a case of getting a USB-B to USB-B cable?

I'm sorry you all had to read that. I really don't deserve this equipment, but without your help it'll just remain a cool looking ornament. (it does look cool.)

Thanks and love x
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Head

Its quite likely your turntable isnt equipped with a preamp. You need a phono preamp stage to basically bring up the voltage level from the small amountthat is generated by the pickup. You would be better off buying a new or used hifi amp with phono inputs. This will do the preamp work and you can then hookup your speakers or listen headphones too.
Cable wise if you cant get a split stereo phono to mono trs then just get double phono ended cable anduse phono 2 jack converter.
You would have to experiment with your usb audio box to get recordings to your computer, but anyway get listening to your vinyl first and enjoy!
Oh you cant hook up the scarlett to the sony by usb. Pc or mac please .
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

No worries. Your Sony PS-HX500 as builtin phono preamp, so it puts out standard line-level audio. That is exactly what your M-AUDIO MX5 speakers want. You only need a couple of ordinary RCA to TS cables to interconnect them. For example Unbalanced Interconnect - Hosa Technology which are available in many places, even at your local guitar shop, etc.

However, you won't have any convenient way to adjust the listening volume. (Except the controls on the back of the speakers which is not very convenient.) Many people use a monitor controller which is just a volume control and some switches in a box. For example, the Mackie "Big Knob" The Passive 2x2 model is around $70 which seems rather expensive to me, but cheaper alternatives are out there. OTOH, see below....

For capturing vinyl to your computer, you can simply plug in your Sony PS-HX500 to your computer as you would any other device like a mouse or printer using an ordinary USB cable.

Your Scarlett 2i2 would be great to use between your computer and your M-AUDIO MX5 speakers.

I could only find M-Audio BX5 speakers. Perhaps that is what you are asking about?
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post

For capturing vinyl to your computer, you can simply plug in your Sony PS-HX500 to your computer as you would any other device like a mouse or printer using an ordinary USB cable.

Your Scarlett 2i2 would be great to use between your computer and your M-AUDIO MX5 speakers.

I could only find M-Audio BX5 speakers. Perhaps that is what you are asking about?
They're the speakers i meant, yes!

Thanks for you're advice about the cable. It works!

RE connecting my Sony PS-HX500 to my laptop, i am using Ableton, and have set my 'input' to the vinyl player in preferences. It's my understanding that the 'Audio' tab on channel one should capture the sound of the vinyl, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

I don't know whether you're familiar with Ableton (i'm assuming you are!) but any help (again) would be massively appreciated.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

First, what computer are you using? PC? Mac? Linux?
What experience to you have with connecting USB audio devices to your computer?
Have you connected your Focusrite 2i2 to your computer?
It should be the same thing.
On my Windows machines, devices like the Sony turntable and a common audio interface like the 2i2 connect automatically because they use a standard USB audio protocol.
On my windows machine, I can see standard USB audio devices using the Windows audio controls.
I can test audio input and output directly with Windows before it ever gets to an application like Ableton or any other application.
I don't know if Mac or Linus have similar features or how they work.
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
They're the speakers i meant, yes!

Thanks for you're advice about the cable. It works!

RE connecting my Sony PS-HX500 to my laptop, i am using Ableton, and have set my 'input' to the vinyl player in preferences. It's my understanding that the 'Audio' tab on channel one should capture the sound of the vinyl, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

I don't know whether you're familiar with Ableton (i'm assuming you are!) but any help (again) would be massively appreciated.
reading the manual it specifies to download the hi-res recording app. I'm guessing ,and may have read ,that this is a not a commonly used format, and is not compatible with programs like Ableton.
It also states that the hi res app records , but does not playback.
After a quick look I see sony make dedicated hi-res players. A business model there I guess. I didnt immediately see any conversion software.
So get a hi res player? Or use your scarlett usb audio and connect via usb ,and your phono leads into the scarletts 2 inputs. Select line out on the turntable.
Your files will be wav but can then be converted to mp3.

Last edited by Patch Cable; 13th July 2018 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Error
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search