The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Cables from Convertors to Monitors Monitor Controllers
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Nut

Best Cables from Convertors to Monitors

Probably bean beaten to death, but maybe there's some new stuff on the subject in 2018...

What cables would you recommend me for going from my Dangerous Source analog outs to my monitors (Quested V2108) for optimal sound quality of course

Medium sized room

Thanks
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

For a medium sized room I would expect to use some fairly long XLRs.

Old 8th April 2018
Gear Nut

Yes!

Medium is a very accurate measure

I need something like 5 meters each cable
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

There's no "new stuff" on this ancient subject. Don't know why you can't just Google it or check the archive.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear
I use Grimm TPR with my Dangerous Source and Amphions. The others that I use are Mogami 2549/3173.
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Nut

Apologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
There's no "new stuff" on this ancient subject. Don't know why you can't just Google it or check the archive.
I guess i am a bit lazy, that is still legal right?
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom25 View Post
I use Grimm TPR with my Dangerous Source and Amphions. The others that I use are Mogami 2549/3173.
Thanks zoom25
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
You're in canada right? where did you get the Grimm TPR from? Would anyone in Canada deal me a few meters to halifax?
Old 9th April 2018
Any quality XLR (look for solid pins, not folded!) will be fine.
Old 9th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
You're in canada right? where did you get the Grimm TPR from? Would anyone in Canada deal me a few meters to halifax?
Dealerlist;

Pro sales | GrimmAudio
Old 9th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sono technique can get you some.

SONOTECHNIQUE
Old 9th April 2018
To my ears Belden 46349 (black) is the one to get, and it's not expensive.

I feel many 'high end' cables introduce 'something weird' to the sound that I don't like.
Old 9th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sono technique can get you some.

SONOTECHNIQUE
Old 9th April 2018
Use Mogami digital AES cable. I love the 3173 long distance AES cable. If that is too expensive/thick use the 3080. Redco can make them up for you. Thy also make great mic cables.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear
I got TPR from Pro Audio LA along with other custom length cables from there. At the time, they were cheaper than Studio Economik even after the shipping and conversion to CAD.

I still use the 3173 for AES purposes, but not for analog audio. I prefer 2549 and TPR over it. The 3173 is bright sounding and initially more detailed, but ultimately sounds somewhat unnatural in the highs. I used a lot of speech material in my testing as well. I've been told it's because of the SCIN effect with the 3173. I think Pro Audio LA also now recommends TPR at that price range. I think they also find the 3173 bright. They are all relatively around the same price range.

I'm happy with TPR and 2549. If I had extra money to spend, there are 2 cables that I'd like to try: Grimm TPM (very expensive) and Vovox unshielded (expensive).
Old 9th April 2018
Skin effect does not apply to the audio range frequencies.

But anything plated, tin or silver plated copper does often sound overly bright in a bad way to me.

Non plated copper cables with a good screen have no sound of their own. Hence the Belden 36349, it's really great stuff at a very decent price.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear
SCIN = Shield Current Induced Noise.

It's the drain wire in 3173.

Regardless of the mechanism, the listening test between TPR, 2549, and 3173 makes it clear.
Old 9th April 2018
Sorry, you are correct

My bad, but still being correct
Old 11th April 2018
The added detail you hear is not generated by the passive AES cable. It's allowing you to hear what is there without a low pass function. Yes, speech can sound strange when you hear all those mouth sounds but that is what humans really sound like.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear
I have cables that are both longer and shorter than the 3173 in the 2549 and TPR. The TPR is also an AES cable. My runs are very short. The shortest I have is 2 feet with the TPR. The longest ones are 18 feet and lots of stuff in between. 3173 has a different character compared to the rest. The specs are readily available for all three.

2549: MOGAMI® - High Quality Balanced Microphone Cables

3173: MOGAMI® - 110W AES/EBU Digital Audio Cables

TPR: https://www.grimmaudio.com/site/asse...pr_leaflet.pdf

@Speedskater can explain it better and the whole drain wire/SCIN thing.
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Nut

Went with the 3173 from Redco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Use Mogami digital AES cable. I love the 3173 long distance AES cable. If that is too expensive/thick use the 3080. Redco can make them up for you. Thy also make great mic cables.
Waiting for it..
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/Shi...uced_Noise.pdf

If the order hasn't shipped and it isn't too expensive, I'd add a pair of 2549. All of these low capacitance cables can pass audio frequencies extremely well at short lengths. You won't be getting any high frequency loss whatsoever. If you do get a chance to compare the 3173 with other braided shield cables without a drain wire inside the shield, like TPR or 2549, you might initially think the 3173 is more detailed or more extended. Try instead paying attention to what happens to the image of the sound and the plane between these. It took me some time as well. You may initially like the 3173 more, but in the long run...you'll find out on your own
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/Shi...uced_Noise.pdf

If the order hasn't shipped and it isn't too expensive, I'd add a pair of 2549. All of these low capacitance cables can pass audio frequencies extremely well at short lengths. You won't be getting any high frequency loss whatsoever. If you do get a chance to compare the 3173 with other braided shield cables without a drain wire inside the shield, like TPR or 2549, you might initially think the 3173 is more detailed or more extended. Try instead paying attention to what happens to the image of the sound and the plane between these. It took me some time as well. You may initially like the 3173 more, but in the long run...you'll find out on your own
Hey zoom i already have a few mogami 2552's
is that close to the 2549 to your ears?
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oranzil View Post
Hey zoom i already have a few mogami 2552's
is that close to the 2549 to your ears?
I have not used 2552 so I cannot say. If you look at the design of 3173, 2549 and 2552, you can see the similarities and differences between all of them on the Mogami pages I listed above. The 2549 is their best cable for analog. Both 3173 and 2549 use fillers to maintain their twists. The 3173 uses lower gauge (18 vs 22 on 2549). However, there is a drain wire on the 3173 that runs inside the shield. The 2549 doesn't have that. The 2552 doesn't have a drain wire either or any fillers. Will you notice a difference between 2552 and 2549 at short distances? I can't say as I haven't used it. The 2552 isn't advertised as their top of the line cable. If you absolutely need Mogami and want their best for analog, that would be the 2549. I've had a chat with Mogami about this exact topic. There's even a thread on this somewhere. 2549 and 3173 are the best models they have to offer. Although, why they forgot to mention SCIN is something you'll have to ask them. Otherwise, there is also Grimm TPR.

Having said that, I'll still keep the 3173 for AES use with the Dangerous Source. I'm not sure if you are using analog inputs, USB, or AES? If you are using the AES input, I'd pay attention to the length of the cable. I have a few 3173 terminated in varying lengths. I actually prefer the longer ones.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have not used 2552 so I cannot say. If you look at the design of 3173, 2549 and 2552, you can see the similarities and differences between all of them on the Mogami pages I listed above. The 2549 is their best cable for analog. Both 3173 and 2549 use fillers to maintain their twists. The 3173 uses lower gauge (18 vs 22 on 2549). However, there is a drain wire on the 3173 that runs inside the shield. The 2549 doesn't have that. The 2552 doesn't have a drain wire either or any fillers. Will you notice a difference between 2552 and 2549 at short distances? I can't say as I haven't used it. The 2552 isn't advertised as their top of the line cable. If you absolutely need Mogami and want their best for analog, that would be the 2549. I've had a chat with Mogami about this exact topic. There's even a thread on this somewhere. 2549 and 3173 are the best models they have to offer. Although, why they forgot to mention SCIN is something you'll have to ask them. Otherwise, there is also Grimm TPR.

Having said that, I'll still keep the 3173 for AES use with the Dangerous Source. I'm not sure if you are using analog inputs, USB, or AES? If you are using the AES input, I'd pay attention to the length of the cable. I have a few 3173 terminated in varying lengths. I actually prefer the longer ones.
Thanks

I use AES
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search