The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is best way to hook up Soundcraft EPM 8 to Windows 10?
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear

What is best way to hook up Soundcraft EPM 8 to Windows 10?

I am recording music, and am looking for the best way to hook up my computer with my console.
I am looking at the Rowland Rubix 24.
Is it better to use 1/4th inch cables or XLR cables to hook it up?
Is it 1/4th inch jack, or TRX or TS cables?
Thanks!
Charlie
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Gates View Post
I am recording music, and am looking for the best way to hook up my computer with my console.
I am looking at the Rowland Rubix 24.
Is it better to use 1/4th inch cables or XLR cables to hook it up?
Is it 1/4th inch jack, or TRX or TS cables?
Thanks!
Charlie
I don't think you're asking the right question.

I think first you need to decide what you want to hook up to what, and in that case, you will most likely only have one answer.

For example, the EPM 8 has the monitor out over TRS and the mix out over XLR. Depending if you're trying to hook up the monitor or mix out, the cable has to match.

The Roland Rubix only has two inputs, which are combination XLR/TRS. I'm not sure how (or if you can) switch this device between mic and line - but it seems the XLR can be configured for phantom power and the TRS can't, so I'd stick with using the TRS for line level.

In that case, if you're trying to hook up the monitor out, use a TRS to TRS cable, and if you're trying to hook up the mix out, use an XLR to TRS cable.

1/4th inch jack is the same as a TRS cable. I wouldn't recommend using a TS cable for anything unless you have a specific purpose. Most likely the EPM outputs balanced (the XLR surely does), and the Roland accepts balanced, so you definitely don't want a TS cable.
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

What output should I use? I will use the Monitor out to give signal to my monitors. I will use the mix out to go to my Roland Rubix. Is it better to use the XLR or TRS cable? What is "better" for audio quality? Why is it better to convert it to the XLR to TRS? What does "line level" refer to?

Thank you in advance, and please excuse my inexperience!
Charlie
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search