The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old Sansui w/ Powered Focals
Old 14th January 2018
Here for the gear

Old Sansui w/ Powered Focals

Hey everyone!

So, after a couple of years of routing my monitoring system in a very silly way (computer to Apogee Duet > headphone jack of Duet to '68 Sansui receiver, speaker wire to passive KRKs), I've decided to do things right and get active monitors that will go directly from my Duet's outs. I couldn't do this before because there was no way to run straight to the KRKs through the Duet.

So I bought some Focal Alphas and was giddy to learn that they had RCA inputs so that I could still listen to records through them (though I'm getting them for recording/mixing monitors, obviously).

I LOVE the sound of records through the old Sansui, but it seems my options for listening through the Focals are these:

1. Use the Tape outs on the receiver, which would take away a lot of the color I love from the Sansui, plus I'd have to adjust volume on the backs of the Focals instead of the volume pot on the Sansui.

2. Headphone jack on Sansui into Focals. 1/4" to RCA. This seems possibly dangerous for the Focals. And maybe the receiver too.

3. Get something like this LC2i (which is actually for cars) to step down the signal going into the Focals. Possibly also dangerous and might not even work/sound good.

Any thoughts? And just to make sure, no I don't want to monitor music I'm recording through the coloration of the Sansui, I only want the option to listen to records through it without having to have an extra set of speakers just for that purpose (my room isn't that big).

I've seen other people talking about similar things years ago but no one addressed my exact concerns. Thanks!!!
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

It seems unlikely that whatever "coloration" is coming from the power amplifier of the Sansui.
It seems much more likely that it is coming from the RIAA phono preamp in the Sansui.
In which case, the tape outputs would be ideal.

Of course you are the only one who can actually do the experiment with your own gear to see whether you hear this "coloration".

It seems unlikely that using the Audiocontrol LC2 will pose any danger to the Sansui or to the Focal Alphas.
Old 15th January 2018
Here for the gear

Oh, okay, thanks. I would've thought the power amp is where a lot of the MMPH is coming from!

Do you think the headphone out is also okay?
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Only you can do the experiment to see how you like it.
Headphone outputs of that vintage were typically not of the best quality.
OTOH, that is what you are looking for, isn't it?
Old 15th January 2018
Here for the gear

I suppose so, to an extent. I'm mostly, at this point, just looking to no fry anything.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search