The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How can I mount my mixer vertically? Mixers (Analog)
Old 3rd January 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
 

How can I mount my mixer vertically?

Hello everybody, wishing you all a happy new year!

I've been trying to find an answer to this question for what feels like the longest time. I'd like to mount my Midas Venice F32 vertically exactly like Chromeo have theirs set up in this video for Fact TV.

YouTube

(Please skip to 0:48, or have a look at the attached thumbnail, to see what I mean)

Bare in mind I have pretty limited building abilities and would be hoping to just buy a unit directly from a company or any smaller business you may know!

Thanks very much!
Attached Thumbnails
How can I mount my mixer vertically?-screen-shot-2018-01-03-11.16.22.png  
Old 3rd January 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 

What do you mean by "mount"? What are you attaching it TO?
The mixer in the video looks like it is simply leaning up against the wall.
There doesn't appear to be any kind of "mounting" at all.
Are you asking for some kind of stand-alone "foot" that will hold a mixer upright on the table?
Old 3rd January 2018
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Forgive me if it’s unclear in the video and from my description. But I would like to attach my mixer to some sort of rack, ideally with feet/wheels so that i can move it around the floor of my studio.

If you look closely, in the video, there are arms poking out from behind the desk and the space between the wall and the desk would indicate that it is not leaning against the wall.

So yes, I am looking for a stand alone unit that I can attach my mixer to.
Old 4th January 2018
  #5
I don't know how heavy your mixer is but something like this maybe what you are looking for. Mobile TV Cart with Cabinet - 43174 and more Lifetime Guarantee
Old 4th January 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 

If you don't require the most appealing design you could also use parts like these ones, there are various tube sizes and manufacturers. Some can be found in stores.
Basically you only have to cut round or square tubes. Paint in black if preferrred.

Example:
Tube connectors * Phoenix Mecano Inc.

Such parts are widely used in the industry but can also be found in some stores like Home Depot or so.

KeeKlamp connectors are less expensive but ugly and less precisely cast, they're more suited for handrails and similar uses.
Old 4th January 2018
  #7
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Finding a way to mount the mixer is actually the easy part. I mounted two D&R Visions in a swinging wall. Easy. Well....kinda. But getting the wiring to them and allowing for the wall to swing and not having a huge mess of spaghetti that bound up or was difficult and unruly was much harder. Having the ability to move it around your studio will necessitate (IMO) extra length cables - preferably multi-pair - the bigger the better / a way to control and dress the wiring harness / multipin disconnects / etc. I'd suggest a flexible cable like Mogami with Elco 90 Multipin disconnects (24 pair per cable), with some sort of false back to hide the ungodly mess that having it out and moveable in the room will create. Having it terminate in your patch bay coming in from the rear would be ideal. Again, IMO.
Old 5th January 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 

You can use flexible cable protection tubes used to protect cables in switchgear enclosures between the frame and the doors, especially with larger diameters you can pass cables with assembled connectors. There are also slotted tubes which can be opened and closed, for those the size of the connectors doesn't matter. Only issue is that available colors are not very nice and the corrugated surface is not esthetic... OTOH a multicolor spaghetti maze is not necessarily more appealing.
Old 5th January 2018
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoeller View Post
If you don't require the most appealing design you could also use parts like these ones, there are various tube sizes and manufacturers. Some can be found in stores.
Basically you only have to cut round or square tubes. Paint in black if preferrred.

Example:
Tube connectors * Phoenix Mecano Inc.

Such parts are widely used in the industry but can also be found in some stores like Home Depot or so.

KeeKlamp connectors are less expensive but ugly and less precisely cast, they're more suited for handrails and similar uses.
I use those connectors a lot and they work very well. FWIW
Old 5th January 2018
  #10
rez
Lives for gear
 
rez's Avatar
hello!

in that cromeo video it looks as if they just use the same stand for the midas mixer as for the keyboards.

some of that chrome tubing is visual.
they are the big stands with a-frames to house up to four or five keyboards.
they just used one stand for the mixer alone.

someting like this: 4D-105S

just remove the upper keyboard fixes and lean the mixer against it on the low shelf.

peace, rez
Old 5th January 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Just a small hint when using tube connectors: Usually there are radial inhex ("Allen") screws which press directly against the inserted round or square tube. Excessive tightening can damage the clamp and/or locally flatten the tube but OTOH insufficient tightening can lead to a collapse if the screw gets loose.
One solution for critical uses and/or higher loads (and especially where the position doesn't need to be adjusted afterward) is to mark the position of the screw, slide or remove the clamp and drill either a slightly smaller hole than the screw core diameter or just drill the conical beginning of the hole. If required the screw can be replaced by a pointy model (conical tip as some tips are concave), just make sure that the engaged thread length is sufficient (usually there's threaded steel insert or nut cast or placed in the aluminium connector as threads directly machined in aluminium should be avoided). Doing so it's no longer needed to tighten that much as sliding is avoided by mechanical locking rather than friction only.

Years ago I used some Centurion connectors:
Centurion - raccords tubulaires alu - aluminium tubular connections

but I could no longer find them in Switzerland. They were not too pricey though not suitable for very high loads. Referring to a given tube diameter there are more robust ones on the market but they're also much more expensive. No idea which equivalents are available in North America.
Old 6th January 2018
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Exactly this. Cheers, Richard. I had no idea what to search for this kind of unit.

EDIT:
But do you have any idea what I would need to physically attach this to this sort of rack stand? Or would I just be leaning the mixer against it?

Last edited by AngryAfrican; 6th January 2018 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Needed to ask another question
Old 6th January 2018
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I don't know how heavy your mixer is but something like this maybe what you are looking for. Mobile TV Cart with Cabinet - 43174 and more Lifetime Guarantee
Cheers for the effort, Tom, but I think this would be a little bit too bulky for my needs!
Old 6th January 2018
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Finding a way to mount the mixer is actually the easy part. I mounted two D&R Visions in a swinging wall. Easy. Well....kinda. But getting the wiring to them and allowing for the wall to swing and not having a huge mess of spaghetti that bound up or was difficult and unruly was much harder. Having the ability to move it around your studio will necessitate (IMO) extra length cables - preferably multi-pair - the bigger the better / a way to control and dress the wiring harness / multipin disconnects / etc. I'd suggest a flexible cable like Mogami with Elco 90 Multipin disconnects (24 pair per cable), with some sort of false back to hide the ungodly mess that having it out and moveable in the room will create. Having it terminate in your patch bay coming in from the rear would be ideal. Again, IMO.
Nice one Dr. I won't need to move it particularly long distances but I will definitely bear these cables in mind. They sound like a necessary investment for my situation regardless.
Old 6th January 2018
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoeller View Post
If you don't require the most appealing design you could also use parts like these ones, there are various tube sizes and manufacturers. Some can be found in stores.
Basically you only have to cut round or square tubes. Paint in black if preferrred.

Example:
Tube connectors * Phoenix Mecano Inc.

Such parts are widely used in the industry but can also be found in some stores like Home Depot or so.

KeeKlamp connectors are less expensive but ugly and less precisely cast, they're more suited for handrails and similar uses.
Wow, I'll definitely be exploring this as an option. I would've never thought this would be a viable option!
Old 6th January 2018
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez View Post
hello!

in that cromeo video it looks as if they just use the same stand for the midas mixer as for the keyboards.

some of that chrome tubing is visual.
they are the big stands with a-frames to house up to four or five keyboards.
they just used one stand for the mixer alone.

someting like this: 4D-105S

just remove the upper keyboard fixes and lean the mixer against it on the low shelf.

peace, rez
Thanks, rez. I think you're quite right actually, that would actually be the easiest option and then I could possibly attach wheels to it myself!
Old 6th January 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez View Post
(...) someting like this: 4D-105S
The tubes are aluminium but connectors are made of fiberglass reinforced plastic (the manufacturer mentions it).

Personally I avoid plastic wherever I can but mileages vary...
Old 6th January 2018
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoeller View Post
The tubes are aluminium but connectors are made of fiberglass reinforced plastic (the manufacturer mentions it).

Personally I avoid plastic wherever I can but mileages vary...
I agree mate. Do you know any similar products made with stronger materials?
Old 7th January 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAfrican View Post
But do you have any idea what I would need to physically attach this to this sort of rack stand? Or would I just be leaning the mixer against it?
I would investigate removing the bottom panel from the mixer and attaching the stand to the panel with thru-bolts.

However, it is not clear how big/heavy is your Midas Venice F32 and will that stand hold it up without being unstable?
Old 7th January 2018
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
I would investigate removing the bottom panel from the mixer and attaching the stand to the panel with thru-bolts.

However, it is not clear how big/heavy is your Midas Venice F32 and will that stand hold it up without being unstable?
I see. I'll definitely look into that, thanks very much. I'd estimate that it's between 15-20kg. That's slightly heavier than the rack stand itself so I'll have to do some further research or just risk it!

(EDIT)

Actually, the Venice is almost double the width of the rack stand so it may not be too wise.

Last edited by AngryAfrican; 7th January 2018 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Needed to clarify my response
Old 7th January 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAfrican View Post
Actually, the Venice is almost double the width of the rack stand so it may not be too wise.
Only a 19-inch component (including some smaller mixers) will fit INSIDE the rack rails on that stand. My concept was to "surface mount" the bottom of the mixer onto the pivoting rails.

But with a device the size and mass of the Midas Venice F32, you may need a bigger and heavier stand. That is rather a larger mixer than you typically see mounted at an extreme angle.
Old 7th January 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAfrican View Post
I agree mate. Do you know any similar products made with stronger materials?
You can use the tube connectors I mentioned. There are various manufacturers, just make sure to use metal connectors are now you can also find some made of plastic.
Phoenix Mecano connectors also known as Rose + Krieger (Komponenten fur die Automatisierungstechnik).

Easiest would be to check if such parts (regardless of brand) can be found in some local store like Home Depot or some hardware store.

The other point is to carefully check how the case of the mixer is built mechanically. Maybe you'll need to add reinforcement plates or profiles. It's very important to make sure that the "anchoring" points are robust enough as efforts will be different compared to having the mixer on a table. This can easily be visually determined by anyone with a basic mechanical background.
Old 13th April 2019
  #23
Here for the gear
 

Hi any solution on this.
I have an Allen and Heath gl2200 and would like to do this so I can have easy access to the back and use my studio space efficiently. I happen to have one of those mobile tv stands. No idea how to safely attach my mixer to it though.
Old 13th April 2019
  #24
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Get a rack mount mixer - or two......, some rack rails, find a wall or a swing wall (like I did) or a solid core door & mount the rails in the wall. Boom!
Attached Thumbnails
How can I mount my mixer vertically?-img_1472.jpg  
Old 13th April 2019
  #25
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Get a rack mount mixer - or two......, some rack rails, find a wall or a swing wall (like I did) or a solid core door & mount the rails in the wall. Boom!
That looks great.
I'm building a new studio space and have just fixed my GL2200 so its working perfect. I don't want to change mixers. worth more to me than someone would pay.

So options
Wall mount / mount vertically use corner space like in video. Thought it might be easier but its not lol.

Siding shelf:
Have on a sliding shelf can be tucked away and access back - thinking might be too heavy to do this practically. Was going to use my studio furniture on IKEA model.
Could build bespoke but rather make music than spend a ton of time doing that.

Trolley : maybe sit on a trolley under desk and can wheel it out and around. I like this idea probably have to make my own.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump