The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how many different IEC cables are there? Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd April 2007
Lives for gear
how many different IEC cables are there?

For IEC cables that have a C13 connector and the standard 3 prong going into the wall,
how many different types are there?
Specifically, are there different 'power ratings?'

Are these cables interchangeable?

Someone snagged the cable for our tube mic PSU, do we need a special one, or does it depend?
Old 3rd April 2007

Look at the rating on the unit and get one that is rated for that much current or more. You need the standard edison plug on the other end in the states. I think Canada is the same....

-tINY

Old 3rd April 2007
Lives for gear

There are different kinds, and they are often interchangeable but not always.

1. They have different current ratings and different wire size. Make sure it is rated for something higher than the AC fuse rating in the gear. The rating is usually embossed on both the outer jacket and on the face of the connectors.

2. They have different outer jacket types like SJT and SVT. SJT is more durable and gear that sits on the floor needs SJT while rackmount or tabletop gear can use SVT (the theory is that floor mounted gear is more likely to have it's power cord subjected to physical abuse like getting stepped on). This really only applies to regulations about how new gear is sold, and either type should work fine in your case.

3. Some AC power cords have copper shielding but this is pretty rare and it's unlikely that you need this. Again, this is mostly a regulatory thing pertaining to how new gear must be equipped when first sold.

4. Some critical-use gear like medical equipment has a lot of additional requirements for the wire and the connectors. but you shouldn't have to worry about that.

So short answer - don't worry about anything except item 1.

DP
Old 3rd April 2007
Lives for gear
thank you tINY and DP so much.
Old 3rd April 2007
Lives for gear

Oh no! A distant friend tells me you need the $2400 one for best sound...

ha ha late april fools.

Lou
Old 4th April 2007
Lives for gear

Also the C15 connector is keyed with a notch and will fall out of a (standard) non-keyed C13 receptacle.
Old 16th February 2019
Here for the gear

Helpful post but I can't tell what the rating is on my gear. I'm trying to get a short replacement IEC cable for a modtone power plant power supply.

On the modtone it says "AC IN FUSE 500 mA" but also reads "use only with a 250 Volt Fuse" on the small fuse compartment next to the recessed IEC male "out" from the power supply.

Then inside the recessed IEC output it reads "10a 250Vac"

You mentioned making sure it is "rated for something higher than the AC fuse rating in the gear," I'm not sure what that would be in my case.

edit: so the current would be 10a and i should just get one rated for 15a? i think i found some of those...

just don't want to blow anything up or melt my power supply.

am i over thinking this?
Attached Thumbnails
how many different IEC cables are there?-fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by davidsteinmusic; 16th February 2019 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: learning more...
Old 16th February 2019
10A or higher @ 250V cord will be fine
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsteinmusic View Post
On the modtone it says "AC IN FUSE 500 mA"
That is the most helpful of all the information.
It means that the gadget won't draw any more than 500mA (1/2 amp)
Ohm's Law calculates that means your gadget is rated at 60Watts or less.

Quote:
but also reads "use only with a 250 Volt Fuse" on the small fuse compartment next to the recessed IEC male "out" from the power supply.
That means that you should use a fuse that can safely INTERRUPT 250 volts. So that people in 240V-territories use the same fuse voltage rating. That has nothing to do with how much current (or power) the gadget actually draws.

Quote:
Then inside the recessed IEC output it reads "10a 250Vac"
That means that plastic part with the power inlet and the fuse holder is rated for voltages up to 250, and current up to 10 amps. It is a standard kind of component that is used for thousands of different kinds of products.

Quote:
You mentioned making sure it is "rated for something higher than the AC fuse rating in the gear," I'm not sure what that would be in my case.
That means that as long as the cord is rated for a higher current than the fuse, it will work properly and safely.

Quote:
edit: so the current would be 10a and i should just get one rated for 15a? i think i found some of those...
It means that as long as the cord is rated for 500mA or more, it will be OK.

The IEC 60320 standard is for a maximum of 250 volts and 16 amps. Probably 99% of all IEC power cords are rated for 250V and 16A. I have seen a few IEC cords that use very thin cable which may be rated for only 5A or 10A.

Quote:
just don't want to blow anything up or melt my power supply.
am i over thinking this?
It is always good to be cautious and protect your investment in gear.
It is just a matter of sorting out all the clues and arriving at the solution.

But your device draws less than 500mA (1/2 amp) so any IEC cord that isn't damaged will work just fine for this application

Ref: IEC 60320 - Wikipedia
Old 17th February 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks TMetzinger. Richard Crowley, i appreciate the thorough response. I'll read again and do some more digging on wiki. Thank you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search