The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you clean your studio monitors?
Old 1st February 2016
Here for the gear

How do you clean your studio monitors?

Hi,

I just want to ask how do you clean your monitors and what are the things you use to clean them. Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2016
Some said dusts on speaker cones will bring more vintage analog sound...

Just kidding, i use a lens blower and soft brush for the cones.
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Pastry brush and a vacuum cleaner

^ for drivers. Barely damp Jeye cloth for everything else, with a homeopathic quantity of the detergent of your choice.

edit: the above is for cleaning ie. when they need it. For day to day dusting of monitors an old fashion feather duster is the best. Don't let anyone catch you doing it though, it could lead to months of comments about french maid's outfits and the like. Don't ask.
Old 2nd February 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks. I was on the store yesterday and I bought this Microtex Ultimate Duster w/ paraffin wax. Will this do the trick?
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

That looks like its designed to leave a coat of wax on whatever you dust with it, not something that would be good for cones I suspect.
Old 2nd February 2016
Here for the gear

Oh no.. I already cleaned it. What would happen to the cones if ever? Should I just dry it using a soft cloth?
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Don't worry you'll probably be fine if its just one application, besides I can't think of a way to remove any wax without causing damage. Paraffin wax is pretty inert stuff so it shouldn't attack the cones.

In future just use an ostrich feather duster, they are naturally a bit waxy too but that just helps lift the dust and doesn't transfer to whatever you're cleaning. Go for natural bristles on the pastry brush too if you can find them, some of the nylon bristles can be pretty abrasive.
Old 3rd February 2016
Here for the gear

Ok thanks. I appreciate all the help.
Old 29th April 2019
Here for the gear

How do we clean the white cone of the NS10 studio? Someone have idea? Thank you guys
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

As above, or if that doesnt work recone both. Or preferably replace the monitors for something that isnt nasty.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search