The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Some issues and questions about monitors, grounding and cables
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Some issues and questions about monitors, grounding and cables

Hey guys, this is my first post on this great forum! Learned a lot here in the past and now I hope to learn even more. I think my post will be all over the place since I've had this problem for a while and tested many different things, and I've come across some questions that I still havent found an answer to, so here goes.

I've had a pair of KRK Rokit 8 monitors that I bought used about 2 years ago. They've been great apart from a little weird buzzing (for example when CPU use is high, even if no audio is being played, I assume it's something to do with my Steinberg UR22 interface) But a couple of months ago, one of the monitors started freaking out. I can't explain it, but randomly one speaker would just start to make a crazy high volume (so high you can't be in the same apartment without holding your ears) electric, buzzing sound (or rather, explosion). I can't explain it very well, but it sounded a bit like what a cable sounds like if its only connected to the speaker and you touch it, but noisier, a hundred times higher and distorted and wobbly (also it DIDNT sound like feedback). Most of the time it happened when I was listening to/making music, but a few times it happened with no audio being played at all, or maybe on a very low volume, I can't recall exactly. Although never when my computer was off and the speaker was on. Anyway, I took it to a guy in a speaker repair shop who said it could be an electrical problem with the socket/cable, or a broken circuit or something like that on the speaker. But would a lot of money to let him try to fix it so I put that on hold.

I've Googled a bit and found that a few other KRK owners have had similar issues. What do you guys think is the best course of action? Is my only bet to have it repaired or could it be something else? Could it be that the monitors are faulty, but that it would be OK if I for example switch to balanced cables (I imagine thats a good idea anyway) or switched power cables, sockets or whatever?

I've learned the speakers should be in the same socket, but some posts and articles I found online said the PC should be in the same outlet as well and in some that it shouldn't, whats correct there?

I took back my old monitors and put the others in storage, and did a bunch of different testing to figure out if anything else was causing issues, since they had a reasonably loud noise as well, although no crazy screeching. I tried a different sound card which didn't make a difference. I didn't find any TRS cables though, but I had a bunch of 3.5->6.3mm adaptors laying around so I tried connecting my speakers to the interface through two 3.5mm cables with an adaptor at each end, which actually worked reasonably well. I can't test my KRK's right now, but is it possible that not having TRS cables is the main issue with the KRKs, or does it seem like there is definitely a problem with them considering the ridiculous screeching they start to make when I expect it the least?

Thanks in advance.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It is very unlikely that there is anything you can do externally with cables, etc. to fix that problem. It sounds very much like an intermittent connection failure or component malfunction internally. This is rather a common failure mode for small powered monitors like the KRK.

This is not unusual for something that complex but sold for such a low price. Alas, in modern times, gear like that is not made to be repairable, and indeed service information is only available through unofficial means. For example a schematic of the input circuit (and active crossover) is here: https://elektrotanya.com/krk-systems.../download.html But we don't know (and you probably don't know) whether you have the "E8T" version.

But, because of the low price of the gear, and the high cost of competent repair services, much modern gear is considered "unrepairable" and "disposable". IMHO this is very unfortunate, but it is what it is.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search