The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to use electret mic with non powered line input?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

How to use electret mic with non powered line input?

I recently bought a ModMic 5 to use my studio heaphones as a headset. The mic uses a 3.5mm mic output and of course plugging it straight into my pc causes horrendous static as most onboard sound cards do.

I use a Steinberg UR22 mk2 interface for my condenser mics and figured I'd try and run the modmic through that to get better quality. Turns out the interface can only provide two types of power, +45v or none at all. I didn't think this would be a problem but apparently the modmic requires a small amount of power to function (usually gets the power from the pc mic port itself but I guess the ur22 doesn't do that). I wanna say it needs between 3-12v. So plugging it straight into my ur22 with a 1/4 adapter does absolutely nothing.

I've been looking for an adapter or power supply that could get that little voltage into the mic but I can't seem to come across anything. Is there anything I can do in this situation?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

strange the computer doesn't work for you, because its phantom is the same as a smart phone (5V).

I would check to see if it could handle 10V, because if so, you could use a standard P48 xlr to Lavalier adapter like a Nady XM-10.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I also want to comment about the 5V on computer mic inputs. Sometimes you need to install a jumper on the sound card to enable the 5V phantom, alternatively they could have engineered this as a software controllable option too buried in its control panel.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

if it is a 5V mic then you would use: VXLR+ from RØDE
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiospacific2 View Post
if it is a 5V mic then you would use: VXLR+ from RØDE
Yeah to comment on your other replies the issue was that the interface doesn't provide any 5v power through the input like my pc would, only the 48v. This adapter looks like it should do the trick, I'm gonna order one and see if it works. Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search