The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I convert this mic stand thread to photo tripod? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Can I convert this mic stand thread to photo tripod?

I have a K&M large cathedral mic stand. Where the boom arm connects to the vertical stand (see pic) looks like this. It's about 10mm diameter.

I want to use the stand as a camera tripod as it's way more sturdy than any tripod I've tried. Does anyone make a thread adaptor which converts this K&M thread to a standard camera tripod size fitting?
Attached Thumbnails
Can I convert this mic stand thread to photo tripod?-k-m-mic-stand-thread-forum.jpg  
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghole View Post
I have a K&M large cathedral mic stand. Where the boom arm connects to the vertical stand (see pic) looks like this. It's about 10mm diameter.

I want to use the stand as a camera tripod as it's way more sturdy than any tripod I've tried. Does anyone make a thread adaptor which converts this K&M thread to a standard camera tripod size fitting?

Check B&H Photo or Amazon. 3/8-16 to 1/4 -20 is the adapter you are looking for. Like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...m=Y&sku=546532
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Many thanks! Ordered :-)
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Unfortunately that's not the size I need. The adaptor fits onto a normal mic stand thread (left in photo) as would a mic clip.

The cathedral stand (right in photo) has a wider diameter centre with a more widely spaced thread. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Can I convert this mic stand thread to photo tripod?-k-m-mic-stand-thread-2b.jpg   Can I convert this mic stand thread to photo tripod?-k-m-mic-stand-thread-3b.jpg  
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Head

try filmtools.com
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

According to this K&M 20811 Cathedral Microphone Stand it is a 1/2" (probably pipe thread) Lots of ways to go. Probably best to take the center pole out of the stand or take the stand to your local hardware store and check to make sure it is indeed a 1/2" pipe thread before going any farther. Then you can hopefully find an adapter on line. If not any good machinist can probably make you one. Doesn't the stand maker have any adapters?

Best of luck!
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, you need to positively identify the threads on that stand. As Mr Bethel suggested, take it down to a good hardware store or home center and identify exactly what diameter and thread pitch you have. And remember that it could be imperial or metric. Once you know exactly what threads you have, THEN you can start looking for solutions.

Or if that is a 5/8 inch (0.675) pin, then that is a lighting industry-standard interface called "baby" and you can find perhaps 100s of different accessories, adapters, etc for a "baby" pin. Example: 5/8" Baby Grip Rigging Hardware - Filmtools

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search