The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using 2 multi cores (snakes)
Old 7th April 2017
Here for the gear

Using 2 multi cores (snakes)

Hi, I have a 8 input multi core and a 12 input.. both have outputs I.E. male xlr connectors ..

I am looking for advice or a way in which I can use them both, so I can have 16 channels, with XLR connections either side of stage..

Obviously both going into the one desk .. ?

is this possible please..

Thnak you as usual in advance ..

Andy
Old 7th April 2017
Lives for gear

If you have an 8-channel XLR to XLR snake, and a 12-channel XLR to XLR snake cable, it is perfectly OK to use both of them in parallel to increase the channel count. With 8+12 you have a total of 20 channels available.
Old 8th April 2017
Here for the gear

Thank you for this it is much appreciated..
But how do I connect it all to the outs on my desk . I only have left an right and both snakes have left and right ..

Apologies of missing something but am fairly new to all this..
Thanks
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

I don't understand the question. Please give us MUCH MORE detail on what you are trying to do.
I thought you were asking about using snakes/multi-core to provide multiple mic input circuits to the desk at the other end.

I assumed you were talking about snakes/multi-core with 8 (or 12) female XLR on the stage end, and 8 (or 12) male XLR at the desk end.
Is this for microphone inputs from the stage to the desk?
Do your snakes/multi-core have female XLR on one end and male XLR on the other end?

Are the mic inputs on the desk the destination of the snakes/multi-core?
Why are you asking about desk outputs? That is very confusing.
Old 8th April 2017
Here for the gear

Apologies for confusion..

I have 2 multi cores .. both multi cores have 2 female connectors on the tail end and at the box or input 2 male I connect the 1 multi core to the outs on teh desk and connect the PA to th box end ..

I was wonder how to achieve this this with 2 multi cores so I can have one each side of the stage ..

The connections to the channels of the desk are not the issue . I'm just struggling with main outs ..

Hope,this is clearer. I do apologies. If this isn't any easier please just say and I will try something else, as I do appreciate your help but don't want to frustrate you ..

Thanks
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Maybe you should post some photos of what you are asking about.
First you say you have "a 8 input multi core and a 12 input"
But then you say you have " 2 female connectors on the tail end and at the box or input 2 male".
So, at this point I have no clue what you are asking about.
A typical snake/multi-core has a box at the stage end with female XLR connectors, and a "tail" at the desk end with male XLR connectors.
So I am not sure if you are identifying male and female properly? And I don't understand why you have a "box" with male connectors?
Without some photos, I'm afraid nobody here will understand what you are talking about.
Old 8th April 2017
Here for the gear

Right will do, I do apologies for not explaining properly ..
Old 8th April 2017
You can look at the snake like separate cables bundled together. You really do not need to pay attention to left right in out one or sixteen labled on the box/fanout past knowing which of the wires are in the bundle.

Run one left or right or sidefill or monitor through any one in the bundle you like just plug them into and out of the right places.
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Nut

FYI, since you seem to be just learning about this stuff, the convention for describing male and female connecters is to refer to the pins themselves not the housings.
In the case of XLR connectors the female end is sometimes incorrectly called male because its housing is inserted into the other housing.
Male XLRs plug into the inputs on your board, female XLRs plug into the outputs.
Old 28th April 2017
Here for the gear

Just want to thank everyone for input, really helpful cheers
Old 1 week ago
[QUOTE=Sloman;12553423....., so I can have 16 channels, with XLR connections either side of stage..

Obviously both going into the one desk .. ?

is this possible.......

Andy[/QUOTE] Yes, you can. I would put your 12 input stage box at the front of stage and plug 1 thru 8 into 9 thru 16 on your mixer; place the smaller stage box upstage by the drum kit and plug in 1 thru 8 into mixer channels 1 - 8.

If both stage boxes have xlrm sockets we can assume the fan end has xlrf plugs. If you had a mixer with xlrm sockets and you want to send both L & R main outputs to both stage boxes, you can obtain/make a pair of Y connectors, each having one xlrf, splitting to two xlrm plugs.

Connect each Y dongle to a main output (mixer xlrm L and xlrm R) and then connect one each of the snake output sends to a Y dongle, so that each stage box has both main outputs. Then run a mic cable from the boxes to the appropriate speakers. Whatever loudness you set on your main fader will be sent to all four outputs/speakers - this might be problematic unless you set speaker gains locally.
Good luck and tell us how you did,
WalterT

Last edited by audibell; 1 week ago at 10:43 AM.. Reason: Can't count
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search