The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rack height...struggling to decide
Old 11th January 2017
Here for the gear

Rack height...struggling to decide

I've decided to get one of the slanted racks from Sound Construction Supply for my home studio. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out the best configuration and am waffling between the two and three bay configurations, along with the best height.

Regardless of which I choose, I won't be filling either rack up in the beginning. My goal is to have room for growth and to maximize the ROI since it's not significantly more expensive to get a bigger rack, either for the rack itself or for the shipping (versus buying too small and then having to add a second one down the road). Space isn't an issue for either rack, so, do I just buy bigger (3-bay) and be done with it and enjoy not having to figure out how to cram future gear in?

Once I decide between 2 and 3 bay, it becomes a question of how high I want the rack to sit. I was thinking 16-space because the top will be pretty close to desk height. I could go 22-space, the tallest they make, and take advantage of the added room as well.

Ugh...too many choices. Anyone care to chime in on what they've done in similar situations.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear
I mean this is a super weird question ...??? If going to expand then I'd get slanted and then customize 19"rack screws for a built rack on top of the slanted ,,, of going to expand

Slanted is good because. You don't have to curl down and patch or turn a knob. Whatever. So slanted helps. With a rack on top of the slanted ones you should be able to reach no problem

Good luck. Either way you'll be ok tall ones though remember ...you'll be reaching for the ground a lot
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Depends on other things but, IF right behind the console I would NOT make them the same height as console, I would make them "Table/desk" height...
With the top extended out so someone can sit behind them...
I also like them on a Riser so their head is a little above the engineer..
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Nut

I built a 3 bay system with a total height around 3 feet (double Lack racks). More counter height than desk height. Mixer on top and a shelf above that. Curent space limitations make this effective. Yes, you'll be reaching low often. I get around that just a bit by puting the power units down there, where I can switch on with a toe.
Old 21st March 2017
Here for the gear

Ended up going with a 3-bay 14-space unit from Sound Construction Supply. VERY happy with the quality of the build...these guys have put a lot of thought into how to make things highly accessible from the back and between the bays inside the rack. I'd highly recommend anyone else looking at racks take a look at these guys and what they offer. It wasn't cheap, but the quality and service were worth it.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search