The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic and Guitar Cables... Best Qualiy For The Bucks?
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Mic and Guitar Cables... Best Qualiy For The Bucks?

I am looking to buy some XLR cables and some guitar cables. Where are the best quality for the dollar cables found? I need a couple of 50' XLRs, a small number of shorter cables, and 4 or 5 guitar cables...

Thanks
Old 10th January 2017
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Old 10th January 2017
Gear Nut

For mic cable, I use ProCo live and Mogami in the studio. Truthfully, with my bottom feeder studio rig, I'm not sure I can tell the difference.

I'm pickier about guitar cable. I'm using the same George L's cables I bought 20 years ago. Great value, great sound.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmospheric View Post
For mic cable, I use ProCo live and Mogami in the studio. Truthfully, with my bottom feeder studio rig, I'm not sure I can tell the difference.

I'm pickier about guitar cable. I'm using the same George L's cables I bought 20 years ago. Great value, great sound.
I am one of many that had so many problems with GL's. I was talking cables with my buddy tonight who had the same pedal board mystery issues and cut outs until we dumped GL's.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Addict

MonoPrice
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99 View Post
I am one of many that had so many problems with GL's. I was talking cables with my buddy tonight who had the same pedal board mystery issues and cut outs until we dumped GL's.
I would never tell you that your experience wasn't valid.

However, in reference to OP's quest for guitar cables, I was specifically speaking of the prepackaged 30' GL's. I think I paid less than $30 each for them. 20 years of rugged use and still going strong. I'm very happy with my purchase. Yes, I wish they were more flexible, but I'll take better sound and put up with the inconvenience. I've grown used to the stiffness over the years, and now hardly notice it.

I do also use GL's on my pedalboard. I do personally find them noticeably better sounding than other cables. When I custom make them to length, I always ohm them out to ensure a good connection (and good isolation between signal and ground). About 10% of the time, I have to redo a connector. But once they ohm out, I've not had one go bad yet. But the nature of my pedalboard is that things rarely stay stable for very long. A few months or perhaps a year at most. Every time I use a custom GL cable, I ohm it out. Every time.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

I use the GL cable and solder pancake jacks for my pedalboard. GL cable has the lowest capacitance I have found.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Could someone explain the difference between snake XLR to XLR and regular XLR to XLR?

Also what gauge (16AWG or 20AWG) do I want for a 50' XLR? 20'? What about guitar cables? The cables going to my powered speakers?
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could someone explain the difference between snake XLR to XLR and regular XLR to XLR?

Also what gauge (16AWG or 20AWG) do I want for a 50' XLR? 20'? What about guitar cables? The cables going to my powered speakers?
The cable used in a snake has a thinner, less flexible jacket, and the jacket it has is less flexible. The snake relies on the single large trunk jacket for protection (and a good bit of shielding). This allows it to be thinner, but you don't want to try to use this stuff outside a snake trunk.

I would recommend the larger gauge (smaller number) in virtually all situations; only go smaller (larger gauge number) if the resulting cable simply will not physically fit into the space you're trying to run it. The larger gauge will reduce resistance and thus signal loss over the run, and it will also be more tolerant of damage to the conductors over time due to normal wear and tear.

Last edited by Liko; 9th February 2017 at 05:45 PM..
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Nut

Just to piggyback what Liko said. Smaller AWG numbers = larger cable.
Old 11th January 2017
Here for the gear

I've had hit-or-miss luck with monoprice. Their mic cables have held up very well, but I've had some failures with their instrument cables. Also, unless they've changed, the cables are very thick and heavy.

I think if I needed cables today I'd check out redco, especially for custom lengths. I needed two 5' instrument cables with right-angle connectors for my keys rig, good luck finding that somewhere! On their custom cable page you can pick the connectors (swichcraft/neutrik/etc), type and brand of cable (I went with their in-house redco cable) and the cost wasn't bad at all.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickarick View Post
I've had hit-or-miss luck with monoprice. Their mic cables have held up very well, but I've had some failures with their instrument cables. Also, unless they've changed, the cables are very thick and heavy.

I think if I needed cables today I'd check out redco, especially for custom lengths. I needed two 5' instrument cables with right-angle connectors for my keys rig, good luck finding that somewhere! On their custom cable page you can pick the connectors (swichcraft/neutrik/etc), type and brand of cable (I went with their in-house redco cable) and the cost wasn't bad at all.
Thanks. Is thick not good?
Old 11th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
A good question, I don't know enough to answer. If the thickness helps protect, I guess it would be good. They are cheaper, so my inclination is to think it's not so much protection as a cheaper material. I have mine in a "mini snake" using split sleeve so I'd rather have a bit less weight and "girth" since they are already somewhat protected.

The material of mine is somewhat "soft" and seems to pick up dirt better than some if that makes sense...not a show stopper by any means.

All in all, my monoprice mic cables have held up for a number of years, not a problem from three of them, so if they are still the same I'd say go for it. I'd still check out redco though. (I might have suggested audiopile.net as well, but had a couple failed cables and no reply from them about it...scratch them from my list)
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickarick View Post
A good question, I don't know enough to answer. If the thickness helps protect, I guess it would be good. They are cheaper, so my inclination is to think it's not so much protection as a cheaper material. I have mine in a "mini snake" using split sleeve so I'd rather have a bit less weight and "girth" since they are already somewhat protected.

The material of mine is somewhat "soft" and seems to pick up dirt better than some if that makes sense...not a show stopper by any means.

All in all, my monoprice mic cables have held up for a number of years, not a problem from three of them, so if they are still the same I'd say go for it. I'd still check out redco though. (I might have suggested audiopile.net as well, but had a couple failed cables and no reply from them about it...scratch them from my list)
Thanks. I have learned with guitar cords a really important feature is capacitance. The lower the more the clear signal goes through. The higher, the more highs are rolled off. Some guitar players like the high end cut off. I would think with mics the more true signal that comes through the better, so lower capacitance would be desirable...?
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would think with mics the more true signal that comes through the better, so lower capacitance would be desirable...?
Mic cables go from one complete circuit to another, whereas in the case of electric guitars, the capacitance of the cable becomes part of the circuit itself, so capacitance isn't anywhere near as important with mic cables as it is with guitar cables. But low capacitance cables are still a good choice for mic cables, too.
Old 12th January 2017
Waaaaaait!

So glad I get to plug Mr. Brian Rainwater at:

rainwatersound@juno.com

https://m.facebook.com/Rainwater-Aud...1018633168792/

Rainwater Sound | eBay Stores

Mr. Rainwater sells the cheapest assembled Mogami cable Ive ever come across. Yes, it beats Redco (but Redco offers more available options).

Put the cables you want in your ebay basket... but be sure to email him directly with your final order and he can knock a little off and send you a paypal invoice directly, avoids 10% ebay fees.

Brian's a fellow Gearslutz member and many other forum members use him (got the recommendation from a thread!)

Its world-class, no-compromise Japanese Mogami cable w/ neutrik connectors for CHEAPER than most inferior competition...

Im ecstatic and just wish I found him sooner. We've placed three orders so far and Brian is great and I respect his efficiency. It completely upsets the value/bang-for-buck cart (disruption!). Its so cheap im using his Mogami cables for everything now.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thick is "excellent" if you are Monster or one of the boutique, snake-oil, magic cable vendors. Monster have built an empire out of selling cables with thicker plastic and convincing people that they were "better" and worth more $$.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Waaaaaait!

So glad I get to plug Mr. Brian Rainwater at:

rainwatersound@juno.com

https://m.facebook.com/Rainwater-Aud...1018633168792/

Mr. Rainwater sells the cheapest assembled Mogami cable Ive ever come across. Yes, it beats Redco (but Redco offers more available options).

Put the cables you want in your ebay basket... but be sure to email him directly with your final order and he can knock a little off and send you a paypal invoice directly, avoids 10% ebay fees.

Brian's a fellow Gearslutz member and many other forum members use him (got the recommendation from a thread!)

Its world-class, no-compromise Japanese Mogami cable w/ neutrik connectors for CHEAPER than most inferior competition...

Im ecstatic and just wish I found him sooner. We've placed three orders so far and Brian is great and I respect his efficiency. It completely upsets the value/bang-for-buck cart (disruption!). Its so cheap im using his Mogami cables for everything now.
Just saw this late but I would also like to say that Rainwater cables are top notch. Well assembled, reasonably priced and I remember a few times when I ordered cables a day apart, they came packaged together with only one shipping charge. I have maybe 50 of these cables, not one defective one.
Old 10th February 2017
I agree, Cavern. After unholy amounts of research, I think Rainwater sits at the top of the value/bang-for-buck scale. I'm all-ears, but I've searched hard and never seen anything beat it.

When it's the same price as low-to-mid-grade but instead is world-class cabling, it takes the "but is it REALLY worth it?" question off the table. If the difference is $1-$10... yes the difference is worth it, ha.

Just price-checked his 10ft-20ft Mogami 2524 guitar cable (sold as "Mogami Gold" in stores...) and Rainwater is literally 50% off the big box stores for the same cable. He is $10 cheaper than Monster, is the same price as mid-grade Planet Waves, and is within $5-10 of gutter-garbage, molded-plastic-jacks-with-paper-thin-copper territory.

There's Fender-branded, Gibson-branded, Planet Waves, Monster, "premium" Hosa and RapCo crap that is $40-80 dollars a cables, where Rainwater's top-shelf Mogami (the best sounding Mogami you can get... not the cheaper Mogami stuff) is clocking in at $20-30... jesus that's a mismatch.

It's one of those rare no-brainers...!

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search