The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is $1.600 a reasonable price for one song produced?
Old 4th May 2020
Here for the gear

Is $1.600 a reasonable price for one song produced?

I need a song mixed, mastered and produced, and on Soundbetter.com I was offered all of this for $1.600. Am I risking getting ripped off or am I a cheap bastard who should just go for it?
What I find most difficult is to know when a song has the potential that makes it worth investing that much in. The producer who made the proposal claimed it can become good, but isn't that an obvious thing to say even if the song was crap, just to have me paying?

Thanks and greetings from Scandinavia
Old 4th May 2020
Gear Head

I think you could get it done for way cheaper.
Old 4th May 2020
Lives for gear

That seems excessive. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to charge that to produce someone's song, but I wouldn't feel good about charging that much unless I were a many-Grammy-winning producer responsible for multiple gold or platinum records.
Old 5th May 2020
Here for the gear

That sounds like an insane price to me, I'd hold off. I've worked with some talented people for a much fairer deal.
Old 5th May 2020
Gear Nut

pricey, check out local studios in your area, online even on instagram there are dudes I sees offering less than a hundred for mixing and mastering . IT all depends on who is doing it, but id definitely try to see if you can even hear anything they've done, but still, thats kinda pricey unless youre going to someone who can work some kinda magic

I just Read the part where he told you he can make it good, if the song is good, its good. Sure they can make it more professional and maybe dynamic and all but youre test as a songwriter should be the song sounding good to begin with, but it depends, im a songwriter and sing and play guitar, so I know I have a good idea of how the song is going to sound. If youre a rapper or dont play instruments then you kinda need a producer and song writer for you.
Old 7th May 2020
Lives for gear

Check their previous work.

It could be the best (or the worst) money you've ever spent.

Also, I'd be wary of anyone claiming to produce, mix & master.

They may be a jack of all trades but a master of none.
Old 15th May 2020
Lives for gear

I'll do the job for 500$
Old 15th May 2020
Gear Nut
I'll do it for 100 dollars!
Old 16th May 2020
Gear Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Hal View Post
I need a song mixed, mastered and produced, and on Soundbetter.com I was offered all of this for $1.600. Am I risking getting ripped off or am I a cheap bastard who should just go for it?
What I find most difficult is to know when a song has the potential that makes it worth investing that much in. The producer who made the proposal claimed it can become good, but isn't that an obvious thing to say even if the song was crap, just to have me paying?

I think it depends on if it’s a vocal and guitar or a four piece band production. Online the studio pros charge about $1300 for a 4 piece band style production so he’s not too far off if it’s pro players. I’d not want my song to be less than pro either which you may get if you low ball your budget. Listen to his reel and decide
Old 16th May 2020
Gear Nut

look into your 5 favorite cds.. the studio + producer name should be there... check their prices & compare their work to the stuff made by the 1.666$ guy...
Old 16th May 2020
Gear Nut

Sounds like they have to hire session musicians, and the guy that gave you the offer is in charge of the production side
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear
Mixing and mastering is one thing, but needing a producer implies you don't have a recording to mix yet. Which means you'll be letting a complete stranger in to the creative process. Which means there is a very, very wide range of results you're going to get, and you may have to start and stop the process with several producers until you find one that fits you and your project. If you have written good music but don't have the ability to bring it to finished product without help, and the success of your endeavor hangs on finding the right producer, then $1600 might be cheap as hell.

Not to be too harsh here, but quoting you anything other than an hourly rate at the beginning stage implies an inexperienced producer. How do you know if it's going to be 5, 50 or 5000 hours? It's a creative process with a lot of back and forth.

If that person's previous work blows you away, go for it. If you say "meh". Keep looking. Buddy of mine just went through 5 producers looking for the right one for his daughter.
Old 20th May 2020
Here for the gear

Has he provided you a breakdown of where that money's going? If you figure a day, day and a half for the mix. Couple hours tops for the mastering. Is he paying session players? How many days will he spend on the arrangement? £1.3k doesn't sound excessive - but I don't know the scope of the project.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keministi View Post
I'll do it for 100 dollars!
I'll do it for 5 dollars!

There, see, I outbid all y'all.
Old 21st May 2020
Fiver called Jeff, they want you back......
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
I'll do it for 5 dollars!

There, see, I outbid all y'all.
Ok I'll send you the documents to sign for a complete song produced at 5 Dollars with Quality in Check
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Ok I'll send you the documents to sign for a complete song produced at 5 Dollars with Quality in Check
QC costs an addtl $1.25
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
QC costs an addtl $1.25
QC ?? stands for Quit C**** ?! Nah That's too much sorry
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
QC ?? stands for Quit C**** ?! Nah That's too much sorry
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slainbabyyc View Post
I think you could get it done for way cheaper.
Cheaper than a dollar and a half?
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Addict

Maybe splurge and go up to $2.50 for your song production
Old 17th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
That seems excessive. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to charge that to produce someone's song, but I wouldn't feel good about charging that much unless I were a many-Grammy-winning producer responsible for multiple gold or platinum records.
**DISREGARD THIS**

My reading comprehension is still a work in progress as I jump in head first.

This is why the industry is not doing well.

$1600 and you won a grammy? People should set the tone for your art. The more complex and fine tuning involved the more you should charge.

You can brand yourself and if the quality is there who is to say you can't charge six figures?

I would pay $1600 if it was worth it in my end. If it was customized towards what I was looking for and it fit the bill - why not?

Depends./

Sorry I edited this as I read it wrong.

$1.6 vs $1600

Had to leave this post and not delete.

I love being mocked and shunned.

Have at er.

Last edited by Quality; 17th July 2020 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: I read it wrong.
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

@ Quality -- Your honesty is admirable! I sadly don't have any Grammys (or Junos) of my own, although I'm a member of the Academy, and I work with many Grammy-winning artists/producers/engineers. I'm an experienced arranger and producer, but I'm not at the point in my career where I could charge $1600 to produce a single track. I arranged and produced an EP for a singer-songwriter friend a couple years back and wound up in that ballpark, but that was for five songs, not one, and I was sensitive to her budget since she was also employing the studio and my stable of session musicians.

Back when we could actually do things in-person in real studios... I'm looking forward to those days returning!
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Hal View Post

Are all parts recorded already or does he have to record/write/play music for this piece?

Does this guy have credits? Do you?

Not enough information.

It could be a bargain!
Old 24th July 2020
M2E
Lives for gear

Hey Little Hal, that's not a lot of money for a song to Produce/Mix/Master and if I were you and if you believe in the song and believe you will get your money back and more once the song is out there, go for it.
Everyone has their price to write/produce/mix and master. Hell, my wife and I were $40k a song and now we do stuff that's not near that. It's all in the talent and experience. Remember, you are paying for experience/knowledge and talent.
As you can see, there are talented guys on here that will do it for $100 or $500. How do you gauge that? By asking for demos, songs they've done and compare them. Do they do the music you do? Would they be a good fit for the music you do? Do they have great communication skills? These are the questions I would ask myself before moving to have anyone write, produce, mix or master. They are all different processes as well.
You may like the way one guy produces and the other guys mixes. Keep that as an option too.

Hope this helps, Marc

P.S. I really gotta venture out of the same forums. Forgot they had this one...LOL
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear