The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Muddy and low volume recording
Old 25th March 2020
Here for the gear

Muddy and low volume recording

Hello all.

WE had a concert with my band and recorded each mixer channel to a Mac (Behringer digital mixer). All the recording were very low in volume, and I am trying to find a way of gaining them without clipping. I was thinking of using Audacity. It has a gain effect were it sets the maximum volume without clipping. Also maybe lowering gain anc clipping away a serious pop the happened on the PA at one time. Is there a better way? Does this add noise to the recording?
Old 8th October 2020
Gear Head

Late reply, but it seems like you just need to crank those levels. If there are peaks, you could compress (yes, that will bring up the noise floor). You could do some gating to silence the empty spots.

As for the pop, if it's only on one track, automate a level dip. If it's on all the tracks, I would try cutting them all out at that section, and fly in the same chord from a different part of the song. (It would be a small miracle if this works).

I'm sure others would have more knowledgeable suggestions!
Old 26th October 2020
Here for the gear

Sounds like the audio from the gig now needs mixing/fixing.
If you need someone to look at it, I can help by giving it a glance. See what needs fixing.
I can give you advice about the best ways to bring it up to scratch in levels and quality.
I would be happy to mix it for you. I presume you have the recording as multitracks.
Any questions feel free to ask.

James
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear