The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to best share audio files
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

How to best share audio files

This might be the appropriate forum??

I'm looking to collaborate with a friend of mine, and that would mean we need to share audio files between us.

what are the best practices for that?

I'm sure for many fo you that's old hat, but for me it's been a constant pat work of things that didn't quite go right.

any insight is much appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpyter View Post
Catbox is cute but too small for audio.

Wetransfer.com
Dropbox.com
box.com
and others.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use:

Dropbox
Amazon Photos (Used to be Amazon Drive)
Gdrive

Trying to move over to stacktune. Subscribing for a current project.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

For Me

For Me Dropbox works best for ongoing projects because you create project folders where you give anyone involved in the project access ( keep others out) and you can load audio files to specific song folders and it becomes instantly available to all involved for download... you dont have to send the same huge files to multiple people and they can upload their parts for you to use as well.

On the other side of the coin.
If you are doing some one off collabs and don't want to maintain a file system I love using Hightail as a replacement for Emailing. (Sending large High Res files)

I believe it is like an FTP site you upload to and it send an email alert to the receiving person and they click a link and download it.
Old 5 days ago
I did used to use MEGA.NZ but now use dropbox, mega could handle up to 50GB which is a lot of space for free but proved tricky to use for non tech minded people, I always zip my files as well to reduce the size.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmix View Post
On the other side of the coin.
If you are doing some one off collabs and don't want to maintain a file system I love using Hightail as a replacement for Emailing. (Sending large High Res files)

I believe it is like an FTP site you upload to and it send an email alert to the receiving person and they click a link and download it.
I prefer WeTransfer.com which is similar. You upload a file(s) up to 2G for free, e\nter the recipient's email, and it stays inm the cloud till they download it 2 good things: you get an email when they dowload it, and they disappear in a week, so no need to delete them after. It is great for sending finished product to clients!

I used to use what they call "hightail" but don't like the new name :-)
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict
Honestly, if it's valuable data and large in size, why arent you using a torrent site? Hosting important files on any cloud service is kinda [email protected]

sending a USB stick via snail mail is even better...
Old 2 days ago
Quote:

normally yes but not in the middle of a pandemic..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honestly, if it's valuable data and large in size, why arent you using a torrent site? Hosting important files on any cloud service is kinda [email protected]

A Torrent site? Are you trolling? Or just kidding? I have never heard such a thing in professional audio circles. Torrents are for illegal material mainly.

Using ampersands for letters is ******** to me.

edit: I said ********, and GS put asterisks there. How weird!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict
Torrent is for sharing things hosted on your computer. If you work with a group of people, each of those people share the weight of the file upload. It is associated with illegal things mainly because websites can be taken down and censored - privately owned computers cannot.

So instead of uploading it to a website, you can upload it directly to the person you want to share the file with.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Torrent is for sharing things hosted on your computer. If you work with a group of people, each of those people share the weight of the file upload. It is associated with illegal things mainly because websites can be taken down and censored - privately owned computers cannot.

So instead of uploading it to a website, you can upload it directly to the person you want to share the file with.
Yeah, sure, but Dropbox and WeTransfer are not websites and do not share that danger, they are quite secure. I've never heard of a professional audio or video person using torrent.

YMMV
Old 15 hours ago
Gear Addict
I've never heard of a professional using online hosting sites to share files, but I guess everyone is cutting corners nowadays.
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've never heard of a professional using online hosting sites to share files, but I guess everyone is cutting corners nowadays.
It has been done for years. Guess you haven't been listening.

Example: I've been working with a radio program organization since 1973. For ten years it was local, on one, two and then four radio stations. At first we drove 10" reels to the radio stations once a week. Then we would broadcast live from our studios to one station via dedicated telephone lines. (15k Telco). Some of our distribution was from each station receiving a tape in the mail, and sending it long to the next station after airing it (called bicycling it).

Then we went national via the NPR satellite service when it started up so stations could get a digital transmission in real time that they would record to tape for their later broadcast. Our local big time radio station charged hundereds of dollars for uplink time, so we shipped our tapes to Texas for less expensive uploading. We graduated from 10" open reels to DATs ad then CDs as the technology changed.

When the internet became viable, we could upload mp3 versions to our own website for stations to download. No more shipping physical product!

Then as the production team diversified and some of us relocated, we began using Dropbox to store and transfer files, rather than mailing CDs between us all.

So Dropbox is our professional workspace, with hard drive backups made at regular intervals.

I know the record industry has followed a similar path of technological development.

And theaters do not ship huge heavy cans of film, or even video tapes or DVDs. It can all be done online now! There is an entire industry for online storage and sharing.

It isn't cutting corners, no quality is lost, but time gained and convenience increased, just like you go online rather than out to your driveway to pick up the newspaper, or download music rather than drive to a record store. It is everywhere, you just haven't noticed!
Old 9 hours ago
Here for the gear

well this got interesting. thank you so much to everyone who shared!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search