The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Exchange Of Skills?
Old 14th March 2020
Exchange Of Skills?

Hey guys, I was wondering if there's any area of the forum pertaining to an exchange of skills? Or in fact is this the right section for that? Is this something people are doing at all?

My situation is that I am a guitarist by trade for a living, but I have set up my own studio and had to marathon learn everything in the past 6-12 months.

I am now producing songs on no budget, from start to finish, by myself.

However, to do performing, composing, arranging, tracking of myself and other instruments, editing, mixing, mastering, video shooting, video editing, management, marketing / promotion, admin, graphic design, managing online presence, etc., and a whole host of other stuff by myself is pretty insane and basically impossible. It literally just means that there's so much to do, none of it gets done.

In the last few weeks, I have done a ton of tracking, but there's no way to deal with all this stuff at the same time.

I was wondering if there's a way to outsource some of the tasks that I might be less good at and that might require less artistic judgement in return for skills I can offer. I am sure there are many people that require assistance too and can't afford it?

For example, if I could find someone to do track editing (for example drum editing) for me it would just take a huge load from me that has little to do with the creative process and would allow me to blast the other areas more. That's just one example, but my point is that it might be mutually beneficial if we can exchange what we are not so good at in return for what we are good at and help each other get better results in whatever we are trying to do.

If anyone is willing to do some sort of exchange, I think what I can offer that would be most valuable is that I can put down guitar tracks (and in fact bass tracks and even other instruments if I get others to do them) and I can even maybe help with composition or arrangements. I can maybe do some mixing. I think it would help me best of I can offload the editing part or also some of the other areas I mentioned that are not related to music directly.

I also do video work in addition to guitar playing, although it is secondary obviously, so I am pretty competent at that too if it's any use to anyone.

I do have a decent setup. Not the best room, being located where I am size is hugely limited, but we did our best to make it good and it's working fine for my recordings and they're pretty serious. I have a full drum kit setup there, guitar and bass rigs, mics for vocals, drums, guitar, bass and other stuff. I have outboard gear (interface, various preamps, compressors, eqs, effects, etc.), since I set it all up for my own projects without me having to compromise the standard I wanted.

Interested to hear any thoughts on this? And if there's a "right" place or way to discuss this with people here can anyone let me know?

Thanks.
Old 14th March 2020
Lives for gear

People do it all the time... but, usually there’s already a relationship already.

Nobody wants to spend their time doing a bunch of work on, for example, your drum tracks and vocal comps and then when they reach out to you for Gtr work, have you tell them you’re too busy to get to it, etc.
Old 17th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
People do it all the time... but, usually there’s already a relationship already.

Nobody wants to spend their time doing a bunch of work on, for example, your drum tracks and vocal comps and then when they reach out to you for Gtr work, have you tell them you’re too busy to get to it, etc.
Well I understand, as I would probably be wary of the same thing myself, but obviously I will say I am not going to do that.

To be honest though, what I do is pretty public so it wouldn't make sense for me to create a bad rep by letting people down.

I think as a good will gesture I would be willing to do a bit of something for them up front first. I am aware this could also put me in the same situation of being let down, but it's really a small risk in order for two parties to benefit. Compared to how much time I have wasted in my life on other people or on stupid things, it is really insignificant.
Old 17th March 2020
Lives for gear

I guess what stands out to me about this is it's honestly harder to assign value this way. Maybe your drum tracks take 3 hours to edit. Is that work an hour of guitar tracking? 2? What if the drum tracks required a lot of extra cleanup? What if the guitar solo was one-of-a-kind musical genius?

I would rather suggest you take the guesswork out of it and offer your services as a session or remote session guitarist for a fee. Use that fee to generate income to pay for editing services and other things you don't want to spend your time on. It just keeps things simple and professional and less wishy washy.
Old 3rd July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
I guess what stands out to me about this is it's honestly harder to assign value this way. Maybe your drum tracks take 3 hours to edit. Is that work an hour of guitar tracking? 2? What if the drum tracks required a lot of extra cleanup? What if the guitar solo was one-of-a-kind musical genius?

I would rather suggest you take the guesswork out of it and offer your services as a session or remote session guitarist for a fee. Use that fee to generate income to pay for editing services and other things you don't want to spend your time on. It just keeps things simple and professional and less wishy washy.
Sorry I never saw this until now! I get your point, but would this still be the appropriate place to do that?

In fact I ended up doing all the work myself and turns out we didn't really need to do time editing on any of the songs so far. Although I did other editing and mixing. However, I suppose since I have a studio now, albeit for my own band concept, it would be kind of silly not to think about offering tracking services, since we can do guitar, drums, bass, percussion and even vocals in there.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear