The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Unpaid partnerships with technicians?
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Head

Unpaid partnerships with technicians?

Is it common for musicians and technical people to work together (still)? And if so, do you have any strategies on how to go about it as a musician? The (handful of) labels I have worked with have been pretty disappointing, in all honesty...

I like writing music and I am always aiming for high quality productions but sometimes I don't know if I can trust what I'm hearing after applying a huge fx chain on a synth patch I created. I feel I could put out so much more quality music if I could outsource the part where I am lacking skills. Soundbetter is nice but for ~150,- per track I'd have to be absolutely certain to get some return on my music. There must be up and coming audio technicians out there hungry for good music to work with? Or is this me being naive?

So...I guess I'm a bit confused in my question and as I'm writing it I get unsure whether it is about finding a good connection to collaborate with or if it's about wanting to know how to make some €€€. It goes without saying that answers to either of the two are very welcome.

PS. If there's anyone with a word of advice on whether to work on musical skills and put out as much music as possible without worrying too much about the production quality vs focusing on sound quality predominantly I would love to hear which one and why.

Thanks
Old 15th October 2019
I surround myself with other musicians and producers, whom i trust to give honest feedback on, especially on unbiased ears, ie, ill send classical stuff to my hiphop friends and see what they say.

I would think there has to be a minimum amount of quality for anything to be printed for commercial gain.

But gone are the days of mediocre 4 track cassette demos. For a few $100’s, most musicians can get music recorded and mixed to that 90% quality, thanks to technology.

So yes, there needs to be quality as far as lacking sloppiness or horrendous recordings.

But your question is asking for the keys to the kingdom, which if we had the right answer, we’d all be successful. Its a very philosophical discussion

So my answers are subjective. You mentioned that you don’t want to spend money without a guaranteed return. The problem is when you give your music to someone else, you’re hoping for a return the way you expect to hear it, which is not always case. Its a risk
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Guru

People do barter deals all the time. You write a song a then give percentages of the copyright and publishing to the people who play on it and record it in lieu of cash. I own a tiny piece of probably 40-odd songs, and have seen a little money from TV placements on two of them.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 16th October 2019 at 08:10 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search