The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reel To Reel Machine
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Reel To Reel Machine

Hi

I am looking for someone with a Reel to Reel machine?

I would like to record someone pressing play on it (the click, the head noise etc), then the sound of the tape running through it (for around 5mins 20 secs) then the sound of the stop button being pressed.

Can anybody help me on this?
Old 3 weeks ago
Interesting...and raises a couple of questions.

Not all machines operate the same...some will have a distinctive click noise on pressing the play button, others may be almost silent or if it's a consumer type machine could be a loud clunk.
The sound of tape running through it? Which part? I guess the noisiest bit maybe where the tape as it goes onto the take-up reel. Stereo or Mono?

The interesting bit is your precise time requirement :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling Terror View Post
Interesting...and raises a couple of questions.

Not all machines operate the same...some will have a distinctive click noise on pressing the play button, others may be almost silent or if it's a consumer type machine could be a loud clunk.
The sound of tape running through it? Which part? I guess the noisiest bit maybe where the tape as it goes onto the take-up reel. Stereo or Mono?

The interesting bit is your precise time requirement :-)

Hi

Thanks for the reply! Yeah looking for that slight click on the play button being pressed and the sound as the tape goes on, then the same as the stop is hit.

Cheers!
Old 2 weeks ago
I'm afraid mine is a clunky machine.

Are you going for 100% authentic (a person after my own heart) or are you willing to maybe be more creative and join different sources together?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling Terror View Post
I'm afraid mine is a clunky machine.

Are you going for 100% authentic (a person after my own heart) or are you willing to maybe be more creative and join different sources together?
I would be really happy with anything, the more options the better. Sometimes it’s hard to know what exactly will sound best and work without trying different things.
Old 2 weeks ago
I understand.

You'll have to extend the length as I'm a bit busy for recording 5 mins of what is essentially the same noise.

It peaks at -3db so a bit of room for processing.

Hope it's of some use.

You can credit me if it makes the Grammys.:-)
Attached Files

HT - AKAI 4000DB.wav (11.72 MB, 63 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search